Hi everyone

What is the best type of base for axolotls ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snazzagazza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Tom
Hi guys this website is fantastic:D i have 2 axolotls Roy a white one and HG a wild black
i like axolotls, computers, aliens :alien::ufo:and other unusual things
Bye

I voted for "none", but what about fine sand? That would probably have been my first choice.

I also voted for none but believe it should read "none of the above", as I also believe sand to be the ideal substrate.

Welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

I would also have voyed sand but out of the ones listed I chose cobblestone as practically anything is better than gravel.

Blackhawk

i voted a mix as the best enviornment is natural with sand pebbles and stones:smile:

Actually, the natural environment for axolotls is mud, which does not include stones or pebbles. Both of these can be ingested, causing intestinal impaction and possibly death.

i voted cobblestones because apparently having "none" is bad because it stresses the axolotl because he can't grip onto anything to walk along the bottom. gravel is very very bad, everyone knows why!
<3 suzy xxx

Last edited:
Having no substrate is fine. Axolotls don't really use their toes for gripping anyway. And it's much easier to clean with no substrate. Cobblestones are very hard to keep clean.

Yeah, I put None because after reading the multiple threads I found gravel; they eat and its hard to clean. So sand for me wins

all the food that goes through these guys means dirty water even with a good filter .if you have no substrate the water will be more unstable.:errr:

That's not true at all. They poop the same amount, whether you have a substrate or not. Your water quality depends on your biological filter and your water changes. If you have a good colony of bacteria (which live in the filter, on the sides of the tank, on the decorations, and on the substrate), and do adequate water changes, your water quality will not be affected by not having a substrate.

I voted for stones as they are too big for him to swallow and give him something to lay on and give him plenty of grip. they are also better for my under gravel filter than sand.

Oh no... i have my gravel :( i didn't know it was bad.
Where would i get the sand from; cos i don't want no base i have plants and they like sitting in them.

I've done bare bottom tanks, slate covered, and sand. They all work. Slate has to be lifted and cleaned under to prevent debris from accumulating and poisoning the tank. Sand has to be poked around in to release gas pockets to prevent a massive buildup that will, again, poison your tank. OR I believe the next thing is to keep very shallow layer of sand.

Sharon

Hello:cool:
I voted for nothing on the bottom.
I have tried all types and have found this too be the easiest to clean and far easier for the axolotil's to get the worms.
;)

Having no substrate is fine. Axolotls don't really use their toes for gripping anyway. And it's much easier to clean with no substrate. Cobblestones are very hard to keep clean.
Not really, you just shove them all in a sink and run some hot water on them

It's hard to keep the bottom of the tank clean when you have cobblestones. Waste will be trapped between the cobblestones in the tank. It is difficult to get between them with a siphon. Cleaning the rocks themselves would be fairly simple. But you wouldn't want to clean them, as this would kill the bacteria.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back