Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Just want to clarify some things about my new FBN

AndygotFBN

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently bought 3 Fire Bellied Newts and put them in a 15 Gallon Tank. I asked the pet shop how old there were and they told me 10 weeks.. which I took as they dont have a clue!.. Anyway, I bought these newts a week ago and built an aquarium for them with about 5 inches of water and a small island. During the first few days they did not move once from this rock. I then went on the internet and found resources that said that if they are young they could be going through a terrestrial phase.. I noticed that they seemed to like to climb up the sides of the cage so I assumed they liked climbing and hiding so I got them a big fake leafy plant which they all seemed to love climbing and hiding in, I also lowered the water to about three inches. Then it came to feeding them.. I asked at the pet store what they had been feeding them and they said frozen and live bloodworm with a few mealworms on the side... Now I have been feeding them live bloodworm as internet resources have told me that they are better than frozen.. I have also found out that mealworms are not idea for FBN so I have been reluctent to buy any for them. I have noticed that one of the newts is quite happy in the water, eats well and is generally quite lively. The other two appear to be incrediably stupid! One is quite slim and I have not seen in the water, this one likes to climb all over the other one which seems to stress it out. The other one is really skinny and I have not seen him eat at all, I can see his back bone and WOW they can bend alot!!!. But seriously what him to put on weight. Now I have found man stories in forums that go along a similar line but no one seems to post back saying what they ended up doing and how their newts turned out. All attempts to hand feed these creatures has failed! Now.. what should i do?

• should i do nothing and wait/hope the other two return to the water
  • raise the water level
  • remove the plant
  • change the way I feed them (currently I put some live bloodworm in the water and wait for them to all dissappear then wait a night then put some more in. So normally every three days)
  • change what I am feeding them
  • split them up
  • or something new and wonderful that you are going to tell me
Any extra knowledge on new and young newts would be awesome

I have attached some photos of the newts and the cage setup with plant.

NOTE: I bought a filter but the newts seem to hate the vibrations so i stopped using it

Attachments

• FBN_ 009.jpg
    FBN_ 009.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 182
  • FBN_ 013.jpg
    FBN_ 013.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 178

superfin

Reaction score
hi andy:D! I had the exact same problem i had to seperate the little one to a terrestrial tank and he is doing prety well now.Try the the same thing but if you dont have a spare tan then try feeding them on the rock.As for the skininess feed him some wax worms as theyare fattening and tasty for amphibians.

chris:wacko:

p.s if you want any pictures of my tank just ask:cool:

oregon newt

Reaction score
First off, are sure that's a 15 gallon? it looks pretty small. Newts need aqauriums with more floor space rather than height. I suggest you get a regular 10 or 15 gallon glass tank. What are your water parameters? They could be why your newts aren't eating. Your newts could just be getting used to their surroundings. Just make sure you don't stress them. Concerning your feeding method, make sure you are removing any food that is not eaten or it will decay. If you don't have the filter in there than you are going to need to be doing frequent water changes. This website has great information caudata.org/cc Try feeding your newts some earthworms, but make sure you cut them small enough.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of your concerns are addressed specifically in the Newt FAQ (see link in my signature line). Try earthworms fed from a toothpick (or pieces left to wiggle near the land-bound newts) and let us know how it goes.

AndygotFBN

Reaction score
Thanks for you suggestions guys.. I think they may be a little stressed from today when i took the pictures and I am not sure how to take out uneatten bloodworms without stressing them out.. I plan to do a water change once a week but again the stress factor.. Wax worms sound interesting.. I will see if I can get some, where is the best place to get them? Fishing tackle shop?. After a quick read up on them I can see that these are treats. As for the floor space I had made a island with holes in that was sitting halfway up the tank.. but as they seemed to hate deep water I have moved that out of the tank.

AndygotFBN

Reaction score
I have found a reptile store in the city and they have a fresh delivery of live food tomorrow. I plan to leave work early to go get the worms for the little chaps. As for an aquarium with larger floor space.. I think I will get one but I have to dodge the money question from my girlfriend. I think I will try and get them a new aquarium once I have had them a little while longer. I have left them alone since my first post and have seen one of the land hugging newts venture into the water to sit on a rock, which is a little more promising. As for removing the left over food... I am going to buy them some kind of feeding tray so I can remove the uneaten food easily without disturbing them too much. I am thinking of maybe leaving food in there over night and then removing it in the morning but i will decide this tomorrow. I am going to get a thermometer and a water testing kit tonight.

I will let you guys know how I get on with the worms.

AndygotFBN

Reaction score
Hello.. Things are good!
They all venture into the water now and I have watched two of the FBN stalk, kill and eat a worm.. Good times! I have put the filter back in the tank but I have noticed that it is not the vibrations that caused the problem.. the filter heats up the water. I have designed a mechanism to move the filter out of the tank and create a cooling system. This is were being an engineer helps alot!! If I am successful I will post a document on how to create a filtration and cooling system to keep water clean and chilled in summer and winter. I am going to my parents house next week so I plan to take the aquarium and the newts with me, and start making.. hopefully they will not get overly stressed during the 2 hr car journey :(.

AndygotFBN

Reaction score
Ok i have lined up a new BIG!! tank. As I am moving in 3 weeks I am going to leave it at my brothers house until the move.

I have created a master piece filteration and cooling system. Unfortunatly on my trip home today I damaged it. I am surprised how weak the silicon is.. I have re siliconed and plan to create a stronger seal by building up layers of silicon. I will post a picture and information about this some time soon as i am sure this will be useful to others this summer.

As for the newts.. one is doing so so well.. fat and happy as larry.. always active and swimming about in the water.. one is not so active but a little fatty still and seems quite happy not doing much. Unfortunatly the stress of the new tank has really got to one of the newts and he is getting really skinny. I have tried everything to get him eating and as his doesnt really move from his one spot and never goes in the water, doesnt take food from tweasers. I see it as i have got two options with this little critter.. i can leave him so he has minimal stress and hope he gets happy and starts eating.. or i can seperate him out into a very small tank with very little water and food and monitor his progress closley. This may cuase more stress and for it to turn down more food.

Thanks for the replys guys.. i will keep updating this thread

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1