Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please Help Me....

Katiemarie

Reaction score
First of all I would like to let you know that I know nothing about Axololtls, so please forgive me if my description makes me sound retarded, but any help would be greatly appreciated. My Fiance got to Axolotls almost a year ago, About 4 months ago we moved to a new home, everything is the same with the tank, except the water, and we had some rocks in the bottom that he took out. A couple of weeks ago they started getting really sad looking. Their antenna's around their heads started falling off, and then chunks of their tails became missing, and now the black one is constantly floating around the top with his legs dangling almost as though they dont work. It will move them around if it really wants to. He is obviously struggling to get to the bottom where they usually stay. The white ones stays to the bottom but his legs just stay flat on the bottom. His backside was floating an inch or so above the water, but not so much any more. This is the first time anything like this has happened any help would be appreciated...

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Katiemarie,

Their antenna's around their heads started falling off, and then chunks of their tails became missing

The 'antennas' are gills. :happy:

It sounds like they have been biting one another. This can happen as axies will often get in one anothers way and bite their companions by mistake.

Biting one another can also be caused by not having enough tank space which brings me to ask how large is the tank? Are there enough hides in the tank?

How often do you feed them, what do you feed them and how big are they?

...and now the black one is constantly floating around the top with his legs dangling almost as though they dont work. It will move them around if it really wants to
He is obviously struggling to get to the bottom where they usually stay. The white ones stays to the bottom but his legs just stay flat on the bottom. His backside was floating an inch or so above the water, but not so much any more. This is the first time anything like this has happened any help would be appreciated...

An axie will float for a variety of reasons; water quality issues, impaction, stress, trying to do a poop, water temperature, gas, too much water movement and sometimes just for the hell of it.

If you could you advise on your water parameters - Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/PH and Water temperature so we can ascertain what may be up with the axies, that would be very helpful.

Cheers Jacq.

mary_kate

Reaction score
If your black axolotl is still floating I suggest that you remove him from the tank and put him in a clean container with aged (dechlorinated) water just covering his back. He needs to be able to feel his weight on the ground.

You might also consider placing the container in your fridge as long as the temp is no lower than 6 degrees celcius (use a lid). The reduced temperature will allow him to heal faster and if he needs to poop then that will happen more easily too. When you 'fridge' axolotls you need to change the water every day so keep a bottle of clean aged water in the fridge too to use for changes. Check out other messages on the subject of fridging axies for more details.

And I concur with the previous contributer regarding the need to consider water parameters. All the best.

Regards

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Katiemarie and welcome to the site,

It is possible that your tank has too much ammonia present. This could account for the physical and behavioural changes in your axolotls.

When you moved your tank either stared a complete recycle or a mini one. Either way if you were not doing daily water changes while this was happening then it is almost certain that your water quality is not good.

I suggest that you start immediately with a 30% water change and then 20% daily water changes until your levels settle. You need to do a parameters test as mentioned in earlier replies.

Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of information and advice about all things axolotl and keep posting here.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1