Sick axolotl.. need help

Tom56x

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay so I'd never had an axolotl before and I got one 2 days ago and since i've had him he hasn't eaten anything he just refuses to eat.. he wasnt moving much at all but now he is a little more active but he has started to turn a pinkish red color in his feet and tail.. i have no idea what it is or why.. also he seems to be floating and ocassionaly swimming down towards the bottom of the tank as if he wants to sit on the bottom but cant or something..

Right Tom, flex your fingers because you are about to do alot of typing.
Do you know how old the axolotl is?
What have you tried feeding him? (what have you been advised to feed him also?)
Did you cycle your tank?
How big is your tank?
What type of filter have you got?
Have you got any water testing kits?
How much do you know about axolotls?
Do you have gravel on your tank floor?

What you are describing with the floating can be a perfectly normal thing, it also however can be a sign something isnt right. So answering all my questions will help determine that.

Looking forward to your reply................

Last edited:
okay umm here we go.. well I don't know how old he is but hes about err 15 cm long give or take.. I've tried feeding him what my mum feeds the turtle little blocks of beef heart and I also tried some other flavor of that called fish dinner.. Thats what the woman at the pet shop said to use as well. I didn't cycle my tank as far as I know I don't even fully understand what that means... the tanks about 40 cm by 30 cm I think. at the moment theres no filter because this tanks just temporary but I've got another tank set up that I was going to move him into which does have a filter. No water testing kits either.. his waters rain waiter though thats all I know.. I changed about 20 percent of it today also.. I know a little bit I read up a lot on them but my mother doesn't listen when I tell her that he needs lots of water changing and what not.. and she won't buy a water testing kit either.. and nope I don't have gravel its just a bare tank its kind of depressing to look at really lol. Also with the floating he was just kind of swimming around a lot and it seemed like he wasnt controlling the floating but i dont know because now he's just sitting quietly on the bottom like normal again..

Ok well your doing better then a lot of beginners so thats not a bad start.
Ok that sort of size could be somewhere around the 3 - 6 month old stage (trying to remember mine at that size).
As for food well, earthworms, slugs and slaters (woodlice) are a good choice for live food. You can also feed them frozen or live bloodworm. Small slices of liver and prawn are also good for a treat now and then.

Ok cycling a tank, basically means you age the water to a point where good bacteria develops in your tank. This help to control things like ammonia which is produced in your axolotls urine . Axolotls produce quite a lot of waste so it is important to carry out small water changes.
Its fine to cycle your tank with the axolotl in it.
Since you are using rain water you have probably not much to worry about cycling in the same way as people using tap water. Your water has been aged by nature and probably already contains some "good" bacteria.
I'm glad to hear you haven't added gravel. You can add sand if you wish ( I use sand).

You need to provide some hides for your axolotl, some caves are ideal, it gives him somewhere to rest and hide.
Ok the floating bit. This sometimes happens when they have gulped too much air. It looks as though they can't get their back ends to lay flat with the rest of the body. Your axolotl may just need to 'burp'.
Floating can also indicate that your axolotl needs to 'poo'. Some do this some don't.
Another cause for floating is that they just like doing it. Younger axolotls tend to be more active. As they age they move around less. I find mine are more active at night.

Give him some time to settle in, it can take a few days.

Small water changes (20%) are needed every week to keep your water conditions good. I remove 20% of my water every 3-4 days and I have no problems with water quality.

Do you know the temperature of your tank? Thats something to keep an eye on too.
http://www.axolotl.org/

The above link will provide you with much information on axolotls and their care. Also there are usually some members in the chat room who can help you with any questions and of course you can get an instant answer.
Hope this has helped you and good luck with your new pet.

okay awesome thanks and also in the tank im going to put him in i've got some sand and a big rock and some plants and i'm going to get a shelter thing for him as soon as the pet shop get some in. I dont know the temperature as i dont have a thermometer. thanks for the help:wacko:

Hi Tom and welcome to the site,

Becky has already given you great advice so all I can add is try and get your mum to have a look at this site with you or on her own and she will find out that what you are saying is correct and not just because you want one.

It is possible to keep axolotls without doing water parameter tests. but you must do regular water changes while your tank is cycling as Becky has said. The problem with not having one is it becomes hard to identify and solve problems without knowing whats going on with your water.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back