Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Picky Eaters

shop worn angel

Reaction score
It seems as though I've encountered a problem with my Chinese Firebelly newt babies ( they morphed just over 4 months ago). I went to the pet store where I normally go to get my live worms to feed the babies, and the owner told me that he doesn't bring the live food in during the warmer months, as it won't make it here alive under warmer weather conditions, so I've started the babies on frozen bloodworms. All of my babies except one has taken to them without much trouble, but I worry for the little one that simply turns her head away from them. Do you have any suggestions for me? I would appreciate any kind of assistance regarding this matter.

Thank-you!

benw

Reaction score
Hi
I have had much the same problem with a recently morphed Alpine newt, all except one would eat defrosted bloodworms, it was so frustrating. I decided to try micro crickets,hoping the movement would stimulate a bite reflex, but it didnt seem to work. I add at this point the newt was in a tub on its own on moist tissue, with a piece of bark as a hide, and made monitoring of eaten food easier.

I the end i used bloodworm held in tweezers, and wiggled it in front of it, took a bit of persuading but it eventually snapped at it, and hasnt looked back since.

Just seems that some are a bit slower to catch on, it now eats most food put in front of it.

Hope this helps, and good luck

Ben

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Ben! I have tried to feed my little one using the tweezers in this way...I'll just try and be more persistent, perhaps. I even tried to mix live and frozen for a while so she would eat the frozen without really knowing it....I'm all out of the live food, now! So, I will try to just be more persistent and hope for the best! She's my tiniest one, too, and apparently, has quite the personality!

Wish me luck!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is always the way: the smallest newt is also the most shy and the most reluctant to eat. I do wish you luck! You are doing the right things.

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Thank-you for you encouragement and for your advice! I really don't think my little one is eating...she is so small...and indeed, the tiniest of the bunch. If anyone has any other tips at all, I'd appreciate it!!! I feel a bit helpless...I have been sitting there waving around frozen bloodworms and nothing is happening. I have started the newts on a schedule of feeding every other day, as well...thinking that maybe the little one wasn't hungry ( in addition to wanting to get them onto that schedule, like my adult newts). It's been a while since I've seen her take a bite at all. She must be hungry at this point! I really am concerned about her. Poor little newt. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!