Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

tips on PREVENTING breeding

lazymut

Reaction score
Hey, i have two axies that could possibly be male and female (one isn't sexually matured yet) and i was wandering if there are any ways to prevent them from breeding at all? or is it something i might just have to deal with?

All replies appreciated :D

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Lazymut,

It's always pot luck when you have juveniles and don't know the gender.

You could install a glass partition screen to seperate them - but I've heard of some cunning axies that have managed to smuggle their loads cross the barrier regardless and voila EGGS!

I think the only way to be 100% sure they will not breed is to put them in seperate tanks.

The other 100% sure method is if you have two boys or two girls. ;)

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Uh, yeas, I have a similar problem. I have 3 axies, 2 females, 1 male. They are all in a big tank together, as they didn't like the divider in the middle.( It made the girls side smaller, so they were stressed and one was bullying the other). So they have been all together for about 2 months, and all seem happy. However, the male and one of the females seem very close, spend time together, and at night even sharing the same hiding place. I didn't think axies would live in 'couples' like these two. Anyway, does this kind of behaviour make it more likely that I could find some eggs?? Thanks for your replies in advance.

oceanblue

Reaction score
I accept the only 100% certain way of preventing breeding is to separate the sexes but if you don't know what sex they are short of one tank per axie this is difficult.

I'm trying to suppress breeding by lighting the tanks for 16 hours a day, exceeding the high summer photoperiod of Mexico City by a couple of hours. There seem to be quite a few posts indicating breeding is rare in the northern hemisphere in June/July/August (for Australia/New Zealand read December/January/February).

So far I have 14 month old Axolotls of uncertain gender largest 24cm. The ones I think are female look well fed rather than gravid and the probable males are a lot less obviously male than some.

It would not be a disaster if they breed: I just do not want batch after batch of eggs from small growing axolotls.

coichards

Reaction score
Hi, i dont have any tips on preventing breeding but it is considered humane to freeze the eggs before they are two weeks old because they have no feeling

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi, i dont have any tips on preventing breeding but it is considered humane to freeze the eggs before they are two weeks old because they have no feeling

I am assuming you want to kill them this way?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Actually, if you leave them in the aquarium, the parents will eat them. This kind of seems like the most "natural" way to me.

Although it is unlikely, it seems possible that the eggs might actually survive freezing. I also would not flush them because it is also slightly possible that they could hatch somewhere in the public water system. The one time I cleaned out the eggs, I just put them into flowerpots on my balcony.

-Eva

Jake

Reaction score
Although it is unlikely, it seems possible that the eggs might actually survive freezing.

I know axolotls can handle freezing temperatures as long as the water is moving and doesn't freeze them solid, but if an axolotl or its eggs are frozen solid the cells are damaged too much for them to survive. Freezers normally are colder than 32 degrees F so they would definitely freeze solid in there.

The flower pot idea is what I would do if I didn't have so many axolotls to feed the extra larvae to. Axolotl embryos probably make a nice fertilizer;)

SarahandRich

Reaction score
The flower pot idea is what I would do if I didn't have so many axolotls to feed the extra larvae to. Axolotl embryos probably make a nice fertilizer;)

Mine go on the garden soil too, pretty much as soon as they are laid. Some, I keep for other people, but only for a week, then out they go too, before they are too developed. I figure they will soon dry out, and be none the wiser as I would hate them to be hurt in any way... :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1