What If I Don't Want My Axolotls Anymore?

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please read this before you judge me:

I recently got 2 small axolotls, only a week and a half ago. I had wanted them for a long time but didn't know where to get them. I found a website that sold them so I thought cool, finally. I pondered the idea for literally about a day. I put my online order in and then realized I better learn about how to care for them and get them a tank and stuff because they are coming in a few days! Well, the process started by me researching online about them. I realized that wow, they are a lot of work...but whatever, I went out and bought all the things I needed. My axies came, I set up the tank and here we are. I found this forum and I've been reading a lot about them...

So my first mistake is not reading about them and realizing how much work they are and that they require a lot of watching, caring and special attention. Already I've had several issues with them which has freaked me out a little. I also didn't think through the process before buying them and I didn't know I'd be spending over about $350 on them and all their gear. The reason that these things are problems because 1. I just graduated from college and moved to a new state and I'm seeking a job, which I haven't found. That means I have no money and running an extra $350 on my credit card was not good. 2. I might have to go somewhere else for a job (i.e. another state) and I can't take them with me. I don't want to put the responsibility on someone else of taking care of them. 3. Basically this is just the wrong time in my life to have gotten them. I'm taking good care of them but I don't want that care to lack when things change in my uncertain life style right now.

Basically I'm a compulsive buyer, I don't think things through enough before I make purchases. This experience has definitely been a very good learning experience for me. It just sucks that I had to learn this with animals. If it was a cat or dog I had done this with I could EASILY give it away, have someone watch it or take it with me anywhere. But they are not, they are axolotls. So after this long post, what do I do with them? I have no idea about shipping them and I don't want to get into that. I literally have no clue what to do with them unless any of you are here in my state. I thought about putting them on craigslist or something but I don't want someone to adopt them who knows even less about them than I do.
Thanks for reading all this and for any suggestions you guys may have.

:ufo:

It's a bummer you can't keep them as they are really interesting animals.

Your first option caould be to post them in the "for sale, give away, or trade" section. If you are not too keen on shipping them you can ask for local pickup only. If that does not get a response you can ship them (although, you may want to wait until it cools down a bit for that). If I were you I would try every option on this site before moving on to craigslist.

If you have any further question please feel free to ask. We are all here and willing to help!

Wow! That's a lot of money to spend on axolotls.

To break it down, a good start would be:
$20-50: cost of 2 axolotls
$25: cost of a 20 gallon long at Walmart
$30: cost of a decent filter for said tank
$20: various decorations (at home depot, where plastic PVC pipes are $0.30 a piece)
$10: bottle of dechlorinator (if needed, treats 500 gallons)
$2.50: 2 dozen nightcrawlers

That's about $130, give or take. Beyond that, everything else is extraneous and unneeded.

Once tanks are established, axolotls really don't need that much care. In a given week, you've got to feed them 2-4 times, and change some of the water once a week. That's maybe 10 minutes of care.

And I'm not sure why you couldn't take them with you when you move? Mine have moved a half dozen times, even hatchling larvae. I've never had any problems moving them.

This is how much it was...

$61: for 2 axolotls with shipping
$45: for a 29 gallon glass tank
$18: for the mesh lid
$50: for the filter that the stupid pet shop guy talked me into it
$20: I spent around this much for the decorations
$10: dechlorinator
$10: on various food I've tried so far
$18: for gravel that I used until I found this forum
$9: for the "cycle stuff that I also was talked into by a pet shop guy
$20-40 total: on the water tester strips and ammonia test strips that pet shop person talked me into
I also bough various other things like turkey baster, bucket, thermometer that have added up.

I know that is not quite $350 but from looking at my bank statements, I added up the total cost I spent at all the stores and it was $350. Yes, I bought unnecessary stuff before I knew what I needed and by stupid people telling me "that's fine" or "that will work". But regardless I already spent the money. I listened to too many different opinions on what I needed. So I can't take back what I already bought and I know it won't cost "that much" in caring for them from now on but I frankly this is just the wrong time in my life for them unfortunately.

I can't take them with me because if I leave, I'm doing 3 month or longer seasonal job to gain experience for my career. I'm not moving, just living somewhere temporary provided by the employer. There is no way I could take them with me for that.
But how would you transport them if you move anyway?

I would try selling them on here, setup and all. You'll take a hit, and loose money on your purchase, for sure. But you can be assured they go to a good home. Alternately, you can give the axolotls to someone, free to a good home, and try to sell your equipment. Shipping the axolotls is probably the best way to do it. It's not hard, once you've figured out how to do it right.

I transport my guys in tupperware (they usually get their own, but sometimes I combine them), and this gets put into a cooler.

The most shocking thing I find about this thread is - the prices!!! :eek:

My aquarium (just the glass box) cost €260 and that was an excellent price. The filter cost €130 and that was marked down for me. I want a Walmart in Berlin! :cry:

Seriously, though - I want to show this thread to many many newcomers. I wish we could sticky it. Few people realize how high the initial investment is when setting up an aquarium. Once you have the stuff in place, though, it does provide years of enjoyment with minimal financial investment thereafter.

Brella, I would like to second something that Kaysie mentioned: axolotls are really not a lot of work at all. It's just starting out that everything is so wild. Believe me, I know - I think I had to learn all about what can go wrong by inflicting it upon my new pets. It settles down, though, and then they are just totally cute and full of personality and truly low-maintenance compared with more usual pets like cats, dogs, hamsters...

There is no way I could take them with me for that.
But how would you transport them if you move anyway?

Oh girl, you got it bad. :lol:

-Eva

Kaysie, I just went to Walmart and the cheapest tank was $35.00, just to let you know.
That still IS cheaper than what I paid though.

How far could I transport them? For example if I want to drive 12 hours to go visit family or something, would that be too far?

Anyway, I guess I'm gonna try to sell them with the set up.
thanks

Hmm. Well, I haven't bought a tank in years. I bought most of mine at Meijer (a regional thing, like a super walmart), or got them from other people. So I'm sure they have gone up in price. Sorry 'bout that.

In theory, you could transport them indefinately, with appropriate amounts of water and food, and keeping them cool But it is stressful on them. Unless you're going to be gone for for more than 2 weeks or so, usually you can just leave them to home. I've left mine for longer than a week, with no ill effects. I even left babies home for more than a week (due to a miscommunication with the herp-sitter), and they were fine.

I really suggest giving it a go though. If you don't want to sell them, don't. You can wait until you have to, when you find a job or whatever. They're not that hard to get rid of, especially if you offer the right price. And maybe by then you'll have found a reliable sitter.

I just got a new Axolotls and i didn't spend more then $150. But if you live anywhere near NY, or can ship them, I'll take them for you.

Sorry, but it doesn't make me feel better when all these people are writing how much they spend and saying how it's so crazy that I spent so much money.

When you say 'I had wanted them for a long time', in all that time you didn't think to research the care they needed? That usually comes before you buy the animal.

I think a valuable lesson has been learned, I hope that the Axolotls find a caring new home.

I know I did make a mistake...as I already stated. I am caring for them very well right now thank you.
I thought I'd get better support than people trying to make me feel bad.

I researched axolotl for years on and off in preparation for owning my own, I even visited the site prior to collecting my two. I was still not fully prepared!! it was only once I had them home and came across various things that I realised that I did not know it all.... and I still don't over 18 months later. I have been very fortunate that with the support of the forum I have been able to cope and deal with things.
Once the basics are met with axolotl care they are easy and a pleasure to keep, literature unfortunately is rather lacking and in many cases the information is conflicting and even out of date.
I think Brella's post is very honest and I know some who come on to the site give up too quickly, do not follow advice and the axolotl suffer...many also ask lots of questions and learn as they go along...and become axolotl addicts. Hopefully with the support of the forum members a solution can be found for Brella and her axolotl:D

Last edited:
Well who hasn't bought something on impulse and then had second thoughts later. I know I have. But in the case of a living thing its more difficult.
I'm sure you will find a way of rehoming them Brella. Try doing as Kaysie has suggested and put them up for sale on here.
Are there any aquatic retailers/stores near to you that could possibly take them?
I'm sorry you are finding it more difficult than you thought to care for them. I think possibly they are the easiest pet I have ever owned. How many pets do you know that you can leave for a week without feeding while you are away on holiday and not have to worry about them. It just requires a little bit of extra work before you go, water changes, spot cleaning etc. I hope you find an appropriate solution.
Good luck.

I think I got my Axies at the same time as Brella. I researched ahead of time, and I hate to admit it, I spent even more than she did. But, I wanted all the space they needed, and a safe environment ( I have a huge cat who likes to sit on the tank lid, it had to be strong - expensive though).
Since bringing them home I have obsessed daily over whether they are ok or not. Maybe it's not the money, maybe it really is the learning curve. There is certainly stress involved with wondering if they are ok or not.
And watching the little (sometimes big changes in their appearance and behaviour). As with everything there are ups and downs.
It's a difficult thing to admit here you made a mistake, Brella. I admire you for seeking a reasonable alternative for your babies, and applaud your choice to look here first where their needs can perhaps be met best.
I did have doubts a couple of times myself. The water changes are easier and easier now. We even discovered tank critters today - white wormies, yup you guys were right...the big pebbles hide all the stuff we can't see...and the axies look different every single day...but what we are learning about ourselves in the process of gazing into that tank can be insightful, if not a little painful, but always rewarding when it's going well.
Our set up
$100 tank (30 breeder longer and shorter - more linear feet space)
$200 lid
$45 filter
$100 decorations
$38 beach pebbles (grape sized)
$70 food/test kit/de-chlorinator
I think there was a couple other purchases in there too. In our situation, we were in a position to spend it. The money isn't what's daunting. They can live in a tank with nothing, it's us who think it's nicer for them to have snuggly homes to hide in and plants to shelter them, etc. It's definitely the commitment to raising these animals, properly. Time, effort, thought and energy. It's not much all the time, but it is constant attention to detail and adhering to a schedule, which allows us to raise healthy not-stressed axies.
I don't lament not going on the cheap and having these guys is becoming more and more rewarding, because I am more in tune to their needs, and feeding schedule.
Good luck Brella. It's not easy to give up any creature, ever.
I hope it all works out.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad at all. But I'm probably going to be getting some more axies soon, and if i can get some that need a new home, that would be awesome.

Oops, I forgot to include the cost of our axies!
We bought 3, they called them albino, but they are the white with black eyes and very little pigmentation, but they were $30 more expensive than the green ones. We paid $89 each. But like I said, it's less about the money and more about the addition to your lifestyle with these guys. As with anything, a little attention goes a long way.
Please keep us posted Brella and let us know what happens next.

My idea is when you have to move or goto work you should see where that takes you through on your trip and set up a drop off on the way. So if you are coming my way, let me know.

If its within the US, you could ship them UPS Overnight Air, and set it so they would be delivered before 10:30 AM. Just pack the box with some ice packs or cold compresses.

I just took my axie on a 5 day trip, 5 hours driving there and back, and he is completely fine. I kept him in a cooler. He didn't really seem stressed out at all. They are pretty resilient little guys.

I think as long as you ship them overnight with ice packs, and they get delivered before it gets too hot in the afternoon, they will more than likely be okay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back