Hot Day in the woods

blckkeys

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Pat
So this past Tuesday my friend and I decided to do some field herping here in SW Ohio. We decided to go to this woods where both have found some marbled salamanders. Because it was fairly hot out, we did not think we would find anything. The heat index was around 95-97 degrees. The humidity was fairly high as well.

To our surprise we found a few salamanders. The first we came across was this streamside salamanders.
View attachment 3880

An ambystoma in the heat of July is pretty darn good find.

Then in another area of the woods I flipped a log and found this redback around her eggs. This was a big treat for both of us, as neither of us has seen a redback with eggs before.
View attachment 3881 View attachment 3882

We also found some two lined salamanders as well as numerours wood frogs, green frogs, and some spring peepers.

Next we went a bit deeper into the woods and found this female marbled salamander.
View attachment 3883 View attachment 3884

Then we flipped another nearby log and found this newly morphed jefferson salamander.
View attachment 3885

Then after a bit more searching we came across this male marbled salamander.
View attachment 3886 View attachment 3887

Despite the heat, mosquitos, and spiders, it was a very productive evening. We did not expect to find much, but we never thought we would see three ambystoma species in the dead heat of July.

I'm not sure why but your photos aren't showing up. Can you try posting them again please?

Here are the pictures hopefully. Not sure why they didn't load last time.

Streamside
Streamside.JPG

Red Back
Redback.JPGReedback2.JPG

Female Marbled
Marbled f.JPGmarbled f2.JPG

Jefferson
Jefferson (2).JPG

Male Marbled
marbled m.JPG

marbled 2.JPG

That bottom picture of the Male marbled is actually a female. Sorry about that.

Sounds like a great day you had! Three Ambystoma species is a great find. Well done!

Blackhawk

Thanks. It was a great day. Despite the heat and mosquitos. We were hoping to find a spotted salamander as well, but no luck. I am heading on another herping trip this weekend, hopefully that will go well.

Pat, superb work! Your photos are lovely - you should enter our calendar competition ;).

I must admit that I've given up trying to find salamanders here in Texas at this time of the year due to the heat. I must applaud your finds in the heat you experienced.

Pat, superb work! Your photos are lovely - you should enter our calendar competition ;).

I must admit that I've given up trying to find salamanders here in Texas at this time of the year due to the heat. I must applaud your finds in the heat you experienced.

Thanks!!! I may do that. Do I just email a digital copy the originals to the email in the calendar post (because they are a few megabytes a piece)?

Yes, we can handle any size email at that address.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back