Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to clean a pre-owned tank?

Sara88

Reaction score
I've recently brought a used glass tank for an axolotl.
The last owner of the tank used it for fish.

How do I clean it to ensure there isn't any bacteria left for when I cycle it for my axolotl?
Would a hot water scrub be sufficient? Am just weary of using cleaning products on it...

What would be best?

Thanks! :D

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Dilute chlorine bleach (chlorox?). Rinse it and dechlorinate it.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Remove any large debris by rinsing it out thoroughly. Use a razor blade and lemon juice to remove any built up lime scale.

If you want to really disinfect it you will want to use a 1:10 dilution of household bleach, like Michael recommended or spray it with both household hydrogen peroxide and household vinegar. Don't mix the vinegar and peroxide before hand. Spray each individually on the surface and let is mix there. If you use bleach or the vinegar and peroxide let the spray sit on the glass for twenty minutes or so. Rinse thoroughly and you are ready to go.

I'd recommend the peroxide and vinegar solution myself. It is supposed to be very effective and is quite safe compared to bleach.

dianabee

Reaction score
I've always used the vinegar and peroxide method that Abrahm described.

Sara88

Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions.
What brands can you buy hydrogen peroxide in? I've never heard of it (probably is something I use all the time lol)

dianabee

Reaction score
I'm not sure of any particular brands, but hydrogen peroxide is a common first aid item, used for disinfecting cuts, etc. It normally comes in a brown bottle, and you can find it in any drug store or supermarket. Hope that's helpful!

Abrahm

Reaction score
Yeah, it comes in a brown bottle and can be found near the rubbing alcohol at a drug store. It's considered a topical disinfectant.

The brown bottle is important as hydrogen peroxide will break down if it is exposed to light or air for too long. Make sure to keep the bottle in a cool, dark place and keep tightly sealed when it is not in use.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1