Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Multiple hatchings

Riffy

Reaction score
Both of my female Axolotles layed their eggs within a week of eachother. At present the eggs are in seperate containers. Is it possible to have hatchlings a week apart in the same tank? This is my first time and I would prefer not to commit mass murder. Thank you:)

Jake

Reaction score
This is my first time and I would prefer not to commit mass murder. Thank you:)

Axolotls lay hoards of eggs. If you're worried about committing mass murder you might want to try raising a few dozen for the first time so you can get a good idea of how much time and effort you'll be putting into raising the ones you have.

Riffy

Reaction score
Luckily the first batch only has about 15 viable eggs, It was fairly small to begin with. The second lot is much larger so I will remove most of them (once I work up the courage) and give them to the fish. I had a thought before that if I lower the water temp of the first batch and warm up the second they may end up hatching at roughly the same time?

Of course is someone in Oz wants some eggs I would be more than happy to send them.

Jake

Reaction score
Cooling the first batch way down and keeping the second at the temp they're at could decreace the gap between hatching dates. If you don't want to raise them all you could always post an ad in the "for sale" section of the forum, there are usually plenty of people wanting axolotls/eggs.

newtamander

Reaction score
To raise my spotted salamander larvae I fed small larvae to big larvae this may sound cruel but Its completely likely to hapen in wild conditions.:lick:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Riffy,

Just remove the eggs you want to raise - reckon that each of them will survive and think how many adult axolotls you can keep - and leave the rest in the parents' tank. They will eat the hatchlings (and possibly the eggs). This isn't murder - but otherwise you will have hundreds of eggs/larvae to destroy - and believe me, this is much more difficult in practice than it reads on screen.

Good luck with the larvae you choose to keep - they are a lot of work!

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1