Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

WV Part 2

blckkeys

Reaction score
The next leg in our trip is one that I was fairly spectacular. While the weather was still nice, it was not very hot. It would have been better if it was another 5 to 10 degrees warmer, as we decided to go check a creek for hellbenders. Wading through a creek when the weather is still cool (73 degrees), just does not seem right. But how can you resist looking for hellbenders. So we went down to the creek and within the first 15 minutes my friend found the first hellbender of the day. This was my first time every looking for hellbenders, and they are state endangered in my state, so I was very excited to see one.

In total we found 8 benders in about a 3-4 hour time span. They are truly one of the most fascinating creatures I have ever seen. They are a creature that I will definitely admire and respect. And I also now know why their nickname is "snot otter". Below are a few pictures of three individuals we took pictures of.

The first one we found. Didn't think about sexing it.
WV 2008 065.JPG WV 2008 084.JPG WV 2008 094.JPG

Female
WV 2008 102.JPG WV 2008 152.JPG

Juvenile
WV 2008 211.JPG

The whole trip was a wonderful experience. We saw some great creatures and had a great time, not only herping, but taking in the entire scenery. While I was able to snap some great shots, I owe it to my friend who basically organized the trip. For me at least, seeing these guys was definitely the climax of the trip.

louise

Reaction score
Very nice pics! Did you see any evidence of mutations in any of the hellbenders?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are any of those pictures big enough to enter in the calendar photo contest? Please consider it!

edit: I posted this before I saw your other threads where people suggested the same thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1