Constipation in mandarin salamanders

cat_lady

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Shonagh
What are the symptoms and treatments? I think that would explain Abes swelling but have no idea how to help him.

Have you a photo of him Shonagh? What is his vivarium like?

I don't have a current photograph, no.

His set up is like the tank pictured. It has a small bowl for him to bathe, four hides, a patch of fake grass and a food bowl.

Attachments

• abe having a soak dsize.JPG
    abe having a soak dsize.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 395
  • abes tank.JPG
    abes tank.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 293
Anyone any ideas how I can help?

I'm bumping this up as it's fairly urgent. I go away tomorrow, none of the vets around here are "exotic animal" orientated so they wouldn't be very useful.

ANY tips on how I can help Abe would be appreciated.

When people complain about constipation in newts/sals, it's usually that the animal has ingested a rock, or the animal happens to be fat and hasn't pooped recently, or the animal is bloated. None of these are really constipation. And if it is constipation, I don't know of anything you could do other than keeping the animal on moist substrate (as usual) and wait for things to pass.

What has been his diet? Is Abe housed by himself, or with others?

By himself, on moist potting compost. He's predominantly been eating earthworms I've dug up out of our garden for - we never treat the soil with anything as we have cats.

Are you sure he's constipated ?, what sort of swelling is it an all over swelling or a bulge to one side ?.

Sorry, I've been visiting relatives and haven't looked on here until now.

The day we went away I checked Abe and his swelling had subsided. He's now back to his normal size and ate an earthworm about the same length as him a couple of days ago.

Thanks for your help! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back