Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: is my newt sad?

superfin

Reaction score
Hi all:blob: i know this sounds kind of stupid but i think my newts look slightly deppresed (lol that sounds so stupid!).Because every time i come to the tank they always slugishly knock against there tank as if they want to escape.And they always stay in one side of the tank .It is a big tank and there are only 3 in it so they are not crouded.Is this normal behavior?If not how can i make them better?

chris:wacko:

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hi.
What species of newt do you have? If it is possible, please post a picture of them on here, so it may be easier for us to tell. It may be that the water needs changed, or that they have indigestion. What kind of substrate do you use?

Blackhawk

P.S. Are you really from Antarctica? :)

superfin

Reaction score
Im sorry about being so late with my reply.I have chinese firebellied newts.I will take some photos tomorow as my friend has my camera.And you might be right about the tank cleaning should i do a 100% water change?And no im not from antartica but i dont know how to make it to where i really am lol but i will try.Also i use sand as a subsrate so they cant swallow it

Last edited:

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hi,
No, don't do a 100% water change as this will undo the cycle that you're tank should have already done. Just continue to clean the tank out as normal. Do you have many hides? If all you're hides are at one side or you don't have any, then that will influence how they are behaving. Please also post a picture of the tank if possible. Well done on the substrate choice by the way!

Blackhawk

superfin

Reaction score
hi blackhawk or anyone else who might be reading this.I have got my camera and i have taken some pictures of all my newts and my tank here they are!

DSCN2117.jpg

here is my tank a bit of it is cut off in the pictures but it's only the small section with the filter in

DSCN2147.jpg

this is my oldest and biggest newt alfonzo

DSCN2131.jpg

this is one of my little newts blaze (I know he is skiny but im working on it and he is getting better)

DSCN2121.jpg

this is another one of my little newts spyro

ok these are all my pictures i hope they help

grunsven

Reaction score
It is a very empty tank. Firebellies like plants (not green plastic things) as they normally live in densly grown ponds. If you buy "oxygen plants" like elodea or something like that they will be more relaxed.

The newts themselves look fine to me.

superfin

Reaction score
Hi. grunsaven you might be right about the pants i have one real alive plant but I guess thats not enough.So i will try to get some other plants in a few days when my local aquatic center opens up.But its a big relief that my newts are not sick.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even fake plants would be an improvement, and might help them feel more settled. I use a lot of silk plants, in addition to live ones. If you get live plants, be sure to get ones that tolerate low light and low temp. Although you shouldn't do a 100% water change, be sure to keep up with regular partial water changes (at least 10% per week). Water added to replace evaporation does not count toward this.

Are you using the small glass container for feeding them? If they eat this way, it's OK. Some newts are too stressed by being in a small container that they won't eat like this. If this is for feeding, use a lid, or you will surely have them escape sooner or later. Escape often = death.

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hey,
I just got back to this thread, and I must agree with Jennewt and grunsven. The log in the middle and the rocks all look rather nice however there is still some large parts of the tank bare. As grunsven said, oxygenating plants or just any plants in general would fill that space nicely. Does the rock on the right hand side reach up to the surface? This is rather trivial but if it does then they may like to sit just out of the water. Lovely newts by the way! Blaze looks fine and if anything Spyro looks a little fat!:D Another added bonus of getting Elodea is that they may lay eggs on it. It is up to you however which kind of plant you get.

Blackhawk

superfin

Reaction score
hi everyone thanks for all the advice it has been helpful and i have gotten my hands on a few things .another synthetic plant(the store hasnt opened yet so i got that from my friends tank) is dead coral ok?because thats the only other thing i found in my house and i am very doubtful about it.

p.s jennewt i dont use that glass for feeding i feed them by putting blood worms in a small cup tnen put the glass in the tank for easy cleaning

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hey,
I'm not sure about the coral. As far as I know if you put coral into the tank it may raise the PH of the water. So personally I wouldn't.

Blackhawk

superfin

Reaction score
Hi everyone
i thought that coral would be bad if i used it.So i bought 6 plants and a light to keep the plants alive.So now my tank is planted and lit here it is.

DSCN2169.jpg

a birds eye view of the right side of my tank

DSCN2170.jpg

a birds eye of the left side

DSCN2171.jpg

and a side view

what do you think?

p.s thanks every one for the helpful advice it helped alot:D

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hi,
I'm sure it looks great but I can't see the pictures!!!:eek: I don't know whether it is justthis computer so I will check again once I get home. From the description it sounds good though!:D

Blackhawk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1