Question: Can anyone guess how old Axel is?

KYLZE

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
KYLZE
Can anyone tell me how old Axel is?

I bought Axel from a fish shop 1 month ago and am wondering if anyone knows how old he is.
See photo's attached. He's approx 15cm long. Still looks very young (and skinny) though compared to some pics in the gallery of others that are under 1 year.

I thought he was about 1 year or over coz I heard that you can't see their man lumps ;) until they are around 1 yo.

And what type exactly is he would be good too if anyone knows?

I have removed the rocks now and replaced it with sand before anyone tells me off for having them in there. I didn't know... :p

Thanks.

Attachments

• 22072008140.jpg
    22072008140.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 22072008145.jpg
    22072008145.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 23072008150.jpg
    23072008150.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 08.08.08.jpg
    08.08.08.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 257
  • 17072008118.jpg
    17072008118.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 18072008135.jpg
    18072008135.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Hi Kylze,

Axolotl ages are hard to ascertain as they all grow and develop at different rates - I would say he is probably about 5-6 months old. When the toes start to go black, this is an indication of maturity and I can't see any black in the photos.

Some axies will develop their distinctive bulge at six months so you can tell they are male on first glance, some males develop more slowly however and can be easily mistaken for a female - that's why it's best to wait a year before attempting to sex it with accuracy. I was lucky, most of my boys developed at six months and were obviously male - one fooled me however! :rolleyes:

I would say he/she is an axanthic albino.

PS. It's great you replaced the rocks with sand before we could tell you off! :p

Thanks, however he does have the black toenails. So does this make him older do you think?

Havelock, You seem to know a bit about them... Would you mind having a look and commenting on my problems I have had with changing to sand?

It's in hereQUESTION! Sand?!?
If that doesn't work it's in the Tank set-ups, filters, substrate.

That would be great! :) Thanks.

In looking at the photos, he is definately a boy. ;)

Thanks, however he does have the black toenails. So does this make him older do you think?

With him not being quite six inches yet I would say he is about 6 months old, give or take a month though...Axies can grow any size from 7 to 14 inchs as adults.

It's hard to say with any accuracy as axies grow and develop at different rates. You would have to have raised him from the larvae stage to know for certain how old he is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back