What substrate?

Poseidon

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi.

As I mentioned in another post, I am remodeling my tank, Thanks to you opinion I solved the issue of the filter but now I am confused about the substrate.

I have this now:

** TOP **
River stones of 2-3 cm (1in)
Gravel for aquariums of 3mm
home made subtrate for aquarium plants (soil, clay,sand) and Azoo subtrate for plants
***BOTTOM ***

Originally the gravel was in the top but the axolots swallow it.

This is how it looks at the moment, but I still have to change the watter.

DSCN6202.jpg

DSCN6203.jpg

The question is:

Is this subtrate OK?
Is it better to use silce sand?
:confused:

Re: What subtrate?

Sand or a bare tank bottom is the most recommended substrate.
Sand will pass easily through an axolotls stomach and you can even see it falling from the gills when they are feeding.
I'm doubtful about your substrate at the moment. My feeling is that the axolotls may still try to swallow it.
I have made an observation regarding my axolotls.
I have noticed that whenever I have introduced food (live or dead) to the tank they very quickly smell it in the water. They immediately start to search for it and anything that brushes their lips like for instance a plant will be snapped at. This could happen with your stones. They could also ingest them whilst trying to grab at a piece of food.
It is a shame that you have to change it as I do think your tank looks rather nice, but I'm sure you will do what you feel is best for your axolotls.

Thanks for your answer :talker:

Yes a I agree about the substrate, I Will tray to change it by silce sand, I think that is the best for aquariums, right?

I will try to remove as many gravel as I can, I still want to let the home made substrate for plants, because I would like to have some plants, specially Annubias (the do not require too much light).

I am also changing the filter to reduce the current and have a timer for the light. I am almost ready to bring the axies.

:D:D

Your set-up looks great! I love the arrangement of plants you have there! Very cute :) Good job :eek:

You don't need substrate to grow anubias. They will grow on almost anything they can grip with their roots.
I have an Anubia growing well in my tank.
Its attached to a small piece of bogwood.
It was previously attached by wrapping some nylon(invisible) thread around its roots then around the wood. I have now been able to remove the thread since it has got a strong hold on the wood and is thriving. You can also do the same thing with Java Fern.

Here is the tank after your suggestions...

DSCN6212.jpg

DSCN6216.jpg

DSCN6211.jpg

DSCN6215.jpg

I liked the sand, it looks more light.

Any comment?

Hi

I am new to Axelotls but not new to fish keeping. If any part of the Anubias rhizome (the main root) is covered by the substrate, it will slowly die.

Also, if the sand is more than 1 to 2 cm in depth, gas pockets build up, which can be pretty nasty. It smells like rotten eggs. Make sure you stir up the substrate during water changes to stop pockets forming or thin it down a bit.

Have fun :cool:

Hi

I am new to Axelotls but not new to fish keeping. If any part of the Anubias rhizome (the main root) is covered by the substrate, it will slowly die.

Also, if the sand is more than 1 to 2 cm in depth, gas pockets build up, which can be pretty nasty. It smells like rotten eggs. Make sure you stir up the substrate during water changes to stop pockets forming or thin it down a bit.

Have fun :cool:

Thanks for the advice I was just wondering, when you say that if the rhizome is covered the plant will die, you mean covered by any substrate or specifically by the sand?. :confused:

The layer of sand is very thin and not all the ground has the "home made substrate" just the part in the right where most of the plants are. but I will check for bad smells :D

I putted today the background of the tank with a cascade but I committed a mistake because there is a log where the water falls and I did not boiled it before and now is releasing a substance that turns the water brown. Hopefully this will stop one day :(.

It is quite normal for the log to turn the water brown. Assuming that the log was intended for an aquarium, it will not harm the axolotl. The brownness will go away eventually.

-Eva

Thanks for the advice I was just wondering, when you say that if the rhizome is covered the plant will die, you mean covered by any substrate or specifically by the sand?

The Rhizome must not be covered by any substrate or sand, they need to be in open water and not planted. You must tie them down with thread for example, until the roots attach themselves to the surface of a piece of wood, rock, ornament etc.

The wood tannin (brown stain) is actually better for fish (not sure about axies though) its just us humans that dont like the look of it so much!

Ok, then I will keep the anubias attached to the logs.

About the logs... The ones that are in the water are bought from azoo when I first placed them the water turned brown too but it stopped long time ago.

The one in the background I took it myself and is actually the one that is releasing tannins because the water comes from the small waterfall. I forgot to boil it before and now is too late :(.

I will put some photos later.

:cool::cool:

this is the back of the tank, and here you can see the log that is turning the water brown.

It is almost ready, I am just waiting for the log to release as many tannins as possible, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

DSCN6218.jpg

DSCN6220.jpg

DSCN6219.jpg

The water looks very clean by the way. expect the axies to make it a bit dirty

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back