Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rescued Tiger Acting Strangely.

SomeMacGuy

Reaction score
I adopted a wild tiger salamander who had been kept as a class pet. The teacher, (who is my my friend's wife), was going to release it after 2 years in captivity and I didn't think the salamander would do very well in the wild so I stepped in and adopted him. I know capturing a wild animal as a pet is wrong, but it's not my (or the salamander's) fault so we're just making the best of it. :)

Anyway, he has been doing great until last Tuesday when he escaped from his terrarium. I found him the next morning covered in dust and he was very dried out. I immediately washed him in room temperature de-chlorinated water and I put him back in his terrarium.

The first few days he looked awful. His skin was wrinkled, his eyes were closed and I was sure he was going to die. But, he seems to be improving every day. However, he's been very lethargic and hasn't eaten since his escape. He looks totally normal and is alert and energetic when handled (I know how to properly and safely handle him).

The closest herp vet is 4 hours away so I'm just looking for some advice before I resort to that.

Thanks so much!

Jordan

SomeMacGuy

Reaction score
I just thought I'd add that I'm using coco fiber for a substrate and I provide dampened storebought terrarium moss for him to hide under. I mist the encolsure daily with room temperature de-chlorinated water and change his water dish every night.

He used to be in the water dish every few days before the escape (I could tell because it was dirty in the morning), and he hasn't used it since.

I was reading thought a few more threads and I thought this info might give you experts a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Thanks! :D

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In that he looks normal and is alert, I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. He experienced a very traumatic and stressful event and in that he hasn't eaten in 4 days is not a concern. He is stressed and was dehydrated.

Keep the substrate moist as you are doing, but not wet. I'm not sure what the terrarium moss is that you are using, but I might suggest moistened, crumpled white paper towels as hides for now to provide additional moisture (using dechlorinated or spring water). Keep him in a cool place, away from light, and let him de-stress. I wouldn't handle him unless absolutely necessary as that too can add to stress.

SomeMacGuy

Reaction score
He's continued to improve every day but I just managed to get him to take a cricket 10 minutes ago. :D

I was getting very concerned but he pulled through! Thanks so much for all the help guys. I'll definitely be sticking around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1