Pachytriton breeding?

FredLikesNewts

Reaction score
Country
United States
After searching through the forum I've found many threads about the breeding of pachytriton and how most attempts ended up in males fanning females and a deposited spermatophore that ends up nowhere. So is it really that hard to get these guys to breed, as I am planning on getting a pair and trying my luck. Also if there are people who have successfully bred them, then could you please clarify some specifics about temperature and anything else that helped you to successfully breed these newts?

hi,
I am also one of those people you mentioned who has the males active but the females who are unreceptive. I know that a good way to try and breed them is to get the water temperature down to the low 40F. This will replicate their winter temperature in the Chinese highlands. Another good way is to turn the lights off for a while and feed them less food. Then, bring the temperature back up along with the lights on and more food to replicate spring. This should make the females more receptive.

Blackhawk

There have been a couple of successes right here on this forum, but it seems we still have a way to go with this species.

You can read about Erik's breeding success here and a year later here. Ian Rigsby in the UK also had some success with a little more detail in this thread.

Thank you Abrahm, as I was looking for the threads by Erik the other day, and I think I'm going to attempt at breeding with more confidence.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back