Amphiuma shedding

That's very cool! Otherwise they're not too active, am I correct? I saw one at a very small zoo once and I actually went to the keeper/owner and said, I thought their animal was dead in its tank. She told me it wasn't, they're just very still most of the time, but not to feel too bad, because I wasn't the first. It didn't help. I still felt really dumb.

That's very cool! Otherwise they're not too active, am I correct? I saw one at a very small zoo once and I actually went to the keeper/owner and said, I thought their animal was dead in its tank. She told me it wasn't, they're just very still most of the time, but not to feel too bad, because I wasn't the first. It didn't help. I still felt really dumb.

You're right about that, Dawn. This one normally sets at the bottom of the tank waiting for a nightcrawler to be dropped near it. If I watch it for about a half hour or so I do see it move but very slowly and it usually smells around the bottom of the tank between the rocks.

Neat video Jake! How long did it take to finish shedding?

I'm not sure how long it lasted because I caught it in the middle of the process. It began to eat the dead skin before it was completely off it's tail. I would guess the whole process was only 10-15 minutes though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back