marbled newt pregnant

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Hi, I have a female marbled since 2 months ago and didn´t laid her eggs... the seller told me that they are LTC and 3died but the 4females and 2males are great right now but that female have so many eggs and don´t laid them.... there are the pics of her and the setup:

i can´t upload the photos!!!

it say:
"You specified a tag that was too long. A tag can only be 25 characters."
but I´ve take the link: IMAGE code like I do in another forums but it won´t give!

We do not allow the sale of long term captive animals - only giving them away and allowing the person receiving them to pay for postage.

Regarding your tag problem, it sounds like you have been trying to put a word longer than 25 characters in the title bar of the thread - were you trying to put the URL for the image in there? In any case, post the URL here and I will turn it into an attachment.

hi john but i don´t want to sell them!! I love them, they were a fortune! I want to keep them but the female is extra large and she don´t lay!

sls70.jpg
salamander

sls37.jpg
setup

If i knew that they were wc i wouldn´t buy them! they were so expensive and 3dide withwout a reason... now the were aquatic...

Hi Eljorgo,

The newt you have has nice coloration and your setup is really neat. Is it outdoors?

Your female may not be gravid ("pregnant")...it looks to me like your newt is impacted from swallowing something that she couldn't pass, and it is causing the bloating. Is there any way you could quarantine her in a smaller, simple enclosure for a few days to monitor whether or not she is defecating? Are you using anything on the bottom of your setup as substrate? If you are using small gravel, that may be the cause.

You might want another opinion on this because I'm only a beginner myself, but my first impression was that your newt was impacted.

Good luck,
Andrea

Hmmm... I've not kept T. marmoratus, but I do have some T. pygmaeus, which are very closely related. My females never reached this size, so I'm a little concerned for yours. You say the newts are still in the aquatic phase. Do your males still have their crests?

I'd expect them to have left the water by now (mine left the water in June). The land based section looks a little hard to climb out onto - are you sure yours are able to leave the water?

Also, what sort of water plants have you provided for the females to lay eggs onto? The floating plants in your tank are ornamental but no use for laying.

Regards
Tristan

Definitely bloated, not gravid. If it were gravid the bulge would only be towards the rear.

Definitely bloated, not gravid. If it were gravid the bulge would only be towards the rear.

I agree, it would have a distict 'pear shape' if it were full of eggs. Bloat can be caused by a number of factors in the way you keep it and the way it was kept in the past.

I don’t think she’s gravid either. What symptoms did the 3 that died have?

Is that a concrete block in the tank? Concrete may play havoc with your ph levels. I would test your ph and other water parameters.

You could isolate the bloated newt in a container with damp paper towels and hide. If she poops you can rule out impaction.

Bloat is often a sign of improper environmental conditions and the fact that 3 have already died suggests something was wrong either before you purchased them or something could be drastically wrong with your set-up.

There's an article about bloat here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml

Hi well guys i apreciate a lot your help. she is defecating good, and she eats preaty good too! the setup is outdoor and two males have died but one female has escaped (thats 2 deats, my bad) and yes it´s a real block! i´m gonna to take it out. And see the pH and gH levels. I have elodeas in the water too, so it could be put into them. And the 2 males that are alive doesn´t have crests. the female was one of the first to eat when they arrived. The other two males that died, i think it was because the high tempratures.. the block it´s not so dificult to climb becausethey are in and out on the cages of the block,
thanks for all;)

elJorgo

update:

pH between 7,5 and 8 in the scale.
gH for tomorrow..
many thanks,
Jorge

How high were the temperatures that killed the two males? That could be a real problem, as she may have suffered kidney damage due to the temperature and it is now causing the bloating.

hi arienette, well i think now, because she has this very weeks before the 2 males were killed by the 28ºC. And the other 2 males an 3 females are already alive. sorry but today i couldn´t mesure the gH level.. i already think tahat she is gravid... because she is live the other newts! eats good, defecates good, shwims good, climb good.. i don´t know...
what se could eated to be like that? a stone was not certainly... she is already this for 2months!!:eek:. keep coming...

thanks a lot,

jorge

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back