Expansions...

aghiowa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. My first vivarium wasn't really working for my CFBN, but I didn't want to discard it entirely. So, I made him a new tank, and put 2 FBT in the old vivarium. I think it will work better.

The newt's new tank has a sand substrate, java fern, 2 anubias (sp?) and some floating plants. It also has the smallest Fluval filter, with a rock in front of the outlet to divert the current a little. I think I may find a larger rock to help with that later. I also have a plastic rock cave thingy and a stick. I think it will be more appropriate for a CFBN.

NewtTank-1.jpg

I'm assuming the plants will fill out more. As it is, it looks a tad bare.

Here's the toad's tank. I've modified it a bit. The stupid filter was giving me fits, so I removed it and planted a low light philodendron in it's place. I also moved the fittonia to the other side and added some mondo grass with eco earth as a topper for the compost. I put in a small airstone, and will try to keep up with mechanical filtration through water changes. I also removed the bromeliad and the moss, and added some floating plants.

ToadTank.jpg

There WERE 4 guppies in the water, but I'm thinking the toads have eaten 2 of them already. :)

I let my kids name the toads - so here are Spotty and Orange Fingers.

SpottyandOrangeFingers.jpg

Comments, suggestions?

Thanks,
Angela

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back