Question: Sleeping Pygmy Marbled Newts

BindyBrinsop

Reaction score
horbury, wakefield, west yorkshire, england
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
Its quite a while since i needed your help because my marbled newts have been really well behaving in the expected way and loving their environment. We have had a pair of newts one male and one female since last september and had up until the beginning of july kept them in our conservatory. We keep them in a mainly aquatic setup with an artificial plant, one real plant and a rock and pebble bank to one side. We moved them into our front room at the begiining of july because our conservatory was getting too warm and so now they are comfortably about 5-10 degrees lower than they were in the conservatory. they have been feeding well on the usual aquatic foods for newts both in the conservatory and the front room but this last week they started to spend more time out of the water, either on the big rock we have or in the branches or the artificial plant.
Over the last three days they have both positioned themselves in the branches and appear to be asleep and are not moving out of the tree. they both look healthy and so we wondered if this was some sort of hibernation?
I ask because the temperature is still not as low as i expected it would be for hibernating newts. about 15degrees celcius.
please advise
sharon

some pictures of my newts

Attachments

• PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 464
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 364
  • PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 570
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back