Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Magazine Update 4

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
See below.

Last edited:

vide

Reaction score
Sounds exiting! I am really looking forward to the publishing!

/Vide

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Edit status as of Saturday September 20th 2008:

• Experiences Keeping, Breeding and Raising Taricha granulosa, the Rough-Skinned Newt by Audrey Fogle - Ready for magazine formatting.
  • Breeding Paramesotriton hongkongensis, the Hong Kong Warty Newt by Louise Selfridge - Ready for magazine formatting.
  • Field Observations in Chiang Mai, Thailand, of Tylototriton verrucosus, the Himalayan Crocodile Newt by Chris Michaels - Ready for magazine formatting.
  • Conservation of the Crocodile Salamanders, genus Tylototriton by Mark Bakkers - Ready for magazine formatting.
  • The Barred Tiger Salamander, Ambystoma mavortium mavortium, of the Llano Estacado by John Clare and friend - Article is with Jen for third edit (maybe final edit?).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Only that I'm adding another article to it.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it's about the Axolotl. It's short. I really need to get this thing out the door.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any updates but I may have some next week. I turned my attention to this a few days ago. I think I need to borrow Jennifer Macke for a couple of days if she's amenable?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Caudata.org Magazine. We've only had one issue but I have the second one about 90% finished sitting on my computer.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Jen has just furnished me with another article. Regarding the status of the magazine, it's been back on my radar for about a month but at least for the next few weeks it's not an option for me. I understand the ongoing disappointment and I apologise for it. Unfortunately life is more complicated than I wish and I have to prioritise just like everyone else.

No one knows it but for the last year or so working on keeping Caudata.org going on a day to day basis has eaten at least an hour of each and every day of my life. It's difficult for me to add more time to that for the magazine, particularly right now due to the upheaval of the massive move I just made.

Also, the attitude and throw-away comments I receive from all tiers of the membership privately (from member to moderator to our beloved Admin) can really wear away at a body. This isn't my job, folks, and any overage of donation money might buy a 2 litre bottle of coke, maybe 2, a week, when you average it out. At least there's an overage though. Bear that in mind strongly - I am regularly told people would kill for the site visits this site receives - I could live off the revenue from it should it go commercial.

Anyhow regarding the magazine, not in the next few weeks but it's on the horizon.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If it means anything John, you are doing an impressive job. Very few people can achieve what you have. You really belong to a class of its own. I cannot match up to your abilities but i will try support whatever i can.

You have the mind, spirit and body to create this site that has grown over the years, the dedication to keep it running and the foresight to reach out to the wider community and at an international level.

I understand how comments and attitudes encountered can exert an erosive effect. I go through spells of crankiness myself when i get barraged by emotional insults. There must be days where you feel you are doing a thankless volunteer job that is being taken for granted. On the flip side, there are also a big team of supporters who really think very highly of you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1