Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Your expert advice please :)

Dawn

Reaction score
We've just acquired a new tank - 42" long 15 1/2" wide and 15 1/2" deep.

We had an Elite Stingray 10 in the old tank and the flow was always too strong for the size of the tank (axies flying everywhere!). Would it be adequate for the new tank? If not do you have any recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance :)

oceanblue

Reaction score
It's a bit on the small side, supposed to deal with up to 50L, and your new tank full to brim would be 150L. Despite this unless you intend to heavily stock the tank from the start it will probably be fine.

If the filter is already up and running and full of appropriate bacteria for cycling so much the better.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Ok I hope I'm right in thinking your tank is around the 200 litres mark. I use a Fluval 2+ filter in my tank and have had no problems with it.
I would think a Fluval 3 internal filter would be fine for your tank. If you decide to go for this one you may notice that its actually meant for a tank smaller then yours, but this is not a problem as the filter copes fine and the water flow is greatly reduced so the axies are happier.

Dawn

Reaction score
Just an update:

I'm sticking with the stingray for now and its running in the new tank with a few guppies for now. It seems to be clearing the water fine and the flow looks perfect.

The Loxies are having a hiatus in the fridge whilst its cycling :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1