floating walking fish

emma1632

Reaction score
Country
England
i have two mexican walking fish but one keeps floating his head is just touching the gravel with tail and all legs in the air he did have gravel in him and bloated out but has gone down now and i think all gravel has gone i just wondered if any knew why he was still floating

Re: floating fish

What temperature are you keeping your tank Emma? It may be too warm..

Is this an axolotl? I was about to move this post to the axolotl section but thought I'd best confirm first!

Axolotls are refered to in some areas as 'Mexican walking fish' probably due to the fact they can metamorphasise, you know 'fish that can walk', anyway, so yes I beleive it's an Axolotl Bellabelloo.

Floating in axolotls is often caused by a buildup of gasses, caused by a bacterial infection. An experienced veterinarian may be able to suggest a medication, I've only used Itraconozole, which is generally not available. I've sometimes been able to control such infections by gradually cooling the animal down to 38-40 F in a refrigerator (you can put the axolotl in a gallon or 2 of water at normal temperature and place in frig - water will gradually cool. In 2 cases the animals recovered after 14-20 days, in one case the animal died and in the other it was fine while in the refrigerator but the floating resumed once it was brought back up to room temperature....veterinary care is the safest option, but if not possible you may wish to try chilling.

I have some articles dealing with amphibian veterinary care and related topics posted at:
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog

Floating in the rear is often attributed to constipation. Your axolotl probably just needs to poop. How often/what do you feed?

Are you keeping the axolotl on gravel? This is bad, as gravel can be swallowed and leading to intestinal impaction, which can cause death.

I agree with Kaysie - floating is not necessarily a serious symptom. Sometimes axies will do this for a few hours and then go back to normal.

I will go ahead and move this thread to the Axolotl area of the forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back