Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

National Geographic gets it wrong

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
I agree, it does seem pretty strange that a world-wide acclaimed magazine could get things like that wrong. Although it must be said that especially here in Europe (I don't know about the US) the GCNs are often called Warty newts despite the fact that the Paramesotriton species are also described as warty newts.

Blackhawk

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Although it must be said that especially here in Europe (I don't know about the US) the GCNs are often called Warty newts despite the fact that the Paramesotriton species are also described as warty newts.

That probably explains it, as in the article they are describing Triturus cristatus. It is still incredible to me that they show a leucistic axolotl on a page describing wild axolotls XD.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The joys of common names...

As for the axolotl, the leucistic axie just looks cooler, despite not precisely describing wild populations.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Although it must be said that especially here in Europe (I don't know about the US) the GCNs are often called Warty newts despite the fact that the Paramesotriton species are also described as warty newts.
Oh, I had never heard that. I guess that explains where they got it.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
agreed every axolotl photo is usually a head on shot of a leucistic specimen. Sure made me scratch my head when it was in a story about odd animals in Ranger Rick that I saw when I was little. And definetly got my interest. :)

caleb

Reaction score
As I remember, Malcolm Smith's "The British Amphibians and Reptiles" (1951) favoured "Warty Newt" for T. cristatus- this was the standard text on the UK species until Frazer's book in 1983.

I think Smith prefered this name as it better distinguished T. cristatus from T. (=L.) vulgaris- male smooth newts have crests, and could be described as 'crested'; in no way could they be described as 'warty'.

aramcheck

Reaction score
The joys of common names...

As for the axolotl, the leucistic axie just looks cooler, despite not precisely describing wild populations.

Although the National Geographic is a large reputable publication, this is in no way a guard against picture editor comiting this kind of mistake (I suspect the reason indeed is that the leucistic axie is deemed more visualy striking than a wild type specimen - although I disagree). A similar mistake was the BBC Wildlife magazine a couple of issues ago publishing a 'how to distinguish the Common Frog from the Common Toad, illustrating the toad page with a gorgeous picture of... Bufo viridis :eek:
obviously some picture editor found a 'better picture' ;) than the one originally provided, or something of that sort...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure! Without the aesthetic appeal, most people wouldn't tune in. It's the same with ball pythons. The 'cool' ones (albino, lavender, whatever) are always what people see on TV. It's never the normal, plain-jain brown ones.

While we see the wildtype specimens for their true beauty, others see them as 'brown'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1