Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie out of water?

axie girl

Reaction score
HI I got a axie for my birthday this year and a while ago my frriend told me you could take them out of their water is it true? If so what is the timelimit for having them out? :smile:

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Axiegirl,

Axolotls are fully aquatic and should never be taken out of the aquarium or handled unless absolutely necessary.

If at any point you need to handle them (such as transfering from one place to another or if administering treatment if the axie is sick) then this handling should be of brief duration as handling them can damage their natural slimecoat.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
If you do have to handle your axolotl try to make sure your fingernails are not very long. Make sure your hand are clean and free from creams/chemicals etc.
Its not always neccessary to handle your axolotl if your are just transferring it to another tank/container. You can float a small container in the tank and guide the axolotl into that and lift that from the tank without ever having to touch the axolotl.
As Jacq has said, they should not be removed from water unless absolutely neccessary, but a few seconds shouldn't cause harm but no more then that.

Neke

Reaction score
Since somebody has brought it up, I've been dying to ask about this...
My friend had an axie when she was a little girl, and she said that she was told to take it for walks every few days, out of the water... She swears she used to make puddles in the backyard to keep him wet and took him out to play on the grass. I was completely shocked, and I thought that maybe she was mistaken and it wasn't really an axolotl. She swears it is though, and described him perfectly. She moved out of her parents house years ago and her axie was left behind, but he's still going strong and I think she said he is around 10 years old.

How is this possible?

She said something about the webbing between his toes growing if she didn't take him out for a while - could he have been trying to morph or something?

I'm very confused! I've been reading about so many of these little guys dying at the drop of a hat, how could he have survived?

IanF

Reaction score
I've been told similair stories Neke. The thing is it has to be some other animal, its just pretty much impossible. I'd recommend just leaving it at that and keeping your Axolotl safe. Like Havelock said, they're completely aquatic.

Kellybishop

Reaction score
I would be great if you could and ive got to say ive been told stories like these and thats what got me interested in axolotls. Never mind they are still kool animals

Neke

Reaction score
The thing is it has to be some other animal, its just pretty much impossible.
That's what I thought too, so I grilled her about it - the thing that swayed me was that she said she dropped him once when she was cleaning his tank (because she doesn't have him any more I didn't bother explaining about cycling or handling) and his tail snapped off. She said part of the bone was even sticking out, and he just grew it back. Do other animals have the ability to regenerate so well? The whole thing just seemed insane. She also said she always kept him wet when he was out of the water, and that they used to splash in the puddles together, but I don't think he would have been fully submerged in it.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Axolotls have rudimentary lungs. I cannot imagine, though, that it can be healthy, much less beneficial, to take them out of the water for any length of time. If you creat a walk-out (ramp, log, island, etc.) in their aquarium, they will not leave the water of their own volition.

(I'm speaking in terms of a healthy axolotl, wanting to avoid opening the moroph topic again.)

-Eva

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
They could survive out of water for a small period of time. When we first got Junior, he jumped out of the tank and got lost in my brother's trashed room for 8 hours or so. He was only found when mum cleaned it up. I hate my bro lol. Anyway, when we found him, he was really badly shrivelled and nearly died. It took him months to recover. Don't let it happen.

Neke

Reaction score
inkozana said:
Egh, that story makes me cringe

That was my reaction too. The thing that upset me was that she loved him so much and it sounded like she made a huge effort to look after him but she'd been told that he was a walking fish and she had to take him out every once and a while to let him walk around. At least he survived I guess, but it sounds like she was just lucky. I'm sure he wasn't impressed about being taken for walks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1