Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Let's see your T marmoratus set ups

lestat

Reaction score
Newts a little bit of a new area for me... I've been keeping frogs for years, but just recently ventured into this area of amphibians. I have a pair of T marmoratus that are in a temporary set up and I'd like to get started on a nice, natural tank for them. So I was hoping some more experienced people could post pics of their set ups. Thanks!

coendeurloo

Reaction score
T. marmoratus:

2368952753_c054c8db54.jpg

T. pygmaeus:

2336095714_09640618f8.jpg

I have to make new pics, both tanks are now more densly planted.

Jari B

Reaction score
It's not the most beautiful but here it is:

Attachments

• DSCF0473 [640x480].jpg
    DSCF0473 [640x480].jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 548

Jari B

Reaction score
In this set up are 5 juvenils terrestrial, I want to breed with them in the summer.
I got 3 adults aquatic and I have there some eggs.
But i know some one who keeps juvenils aquatic.

Jari B

Reaction score
I have them almost 3 months aquatic and when they stop laying eggs i put them in the aqua/terrarium on the picture.

Cristatus1

Reaction score
AW: Let's see your T marmoratus set ups

Why'd you put a bromelia in your tank:confused:

Jari B

Reaction score
It's an nice flower and he does well in my tank.
And my marmers climb on it.

slowfoot

Reaction score
If you plan on keeping marms year-round in a single set-up, how large does the land area have to be? What about water? Would a 25:75 land:water type terrarium work?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If you plan on keeping marms year-round in a single set-up, how large does the land area have to be? What about water? Would a 25:75 land:water type terrarium work?

Erin, I think it all boils down to personal preference. Some people keep adults aquatic year round, 50/50 water to land portion, or even completely terrestrial (except during breeding season). They're just so many possibilties with this species and thats why they're one of my favorites.

slowfoot

Reaction score
Thanks, Justin!

I guess I'm kind of trying to decide what the best newt for me would be... assuming I try out another species. I love the look of marms, and setting up a paludarium with a nice land area sounds exciting. I'm a little terrified about the prospect of having to put in a tank divider (just because of the possibility of leaks) but I don't think I can get around it.

Anyway, here's a silly drawing of what I have in mind to build:

dumb idea2.jpg

I like to stare for hours at my newt set-ups, so I want to make sure the newts would be happy in something I would also want to look at.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I like the looks of what you had in mind and marmoratus definitely look like a possibility for an inhabitant. If leaks are a strong concern of yours then you could possibly use LECA (hydroton) where the dirt should be. I don't know if you have given that thought some consideration or not but it may be worth a shot.

Later,
Justin

stavroske

Reaction score
I'm about to build a new aqua-terrarium for my T. marmoratus. The aquarium is 1.70m x 50cm x 50cm. This is the plan (its just a paint model) so you can see how it will be.
As soon as I start, I'll post pictures of it...

aquariumschets.jpg

grius

Reaction score
Thats a BIG marmoratus tank! i thought i had i large vivarium hehe. Im looking forward to this construction.

jbherpin

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1