Question: Beach Sand

Repguy27

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Repguy27
Would beach sand I have from the furthest part of the coast from the water be ok for a Cynops pyrrhogaster? I cleaned it a few times with hot water and it is really soft like a pillow.

No. It really wouldn't be a good substrate. You have huge chance of some microorganisms or pollutants mixedin that could cause future issues. Even if ou have cleaned well. Not to mention salt.

I am afraid not. It will contain lots of shell fragments that will slowly but surely raise the pH of water thus affecting your newts.

Just go out and buy some pool filter sand or some playsand. That'll be fine.;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back