Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axolotls had eggs... what now?

LEGS

Reaction score
Hello! to whoever is reading this blog, because if you are then you my unknown friend are dangerously awesome :cool:.

So...firstly my name is Cecilia Elizabethhhhhh Sharpe.

**NOTE**- Middle name must be spoken in a drawn out posh english accent darrrling, because lets be honest it does tend to sound alot more interesting that way.
My location happens to be on the west side of Australia in Perth. Love it, i wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Okayyyyy that was a lie, take me to Greece RIGHT NOW ok thank you :eek:.

I happen to have two scarily cute axolotls, a male named Clyde and a female named Bonnie... their pretty much bad ***. I'm fairly new to looking after them as i've never had them before but i'm never ever giving you away... and if you leave me i'll FINNNNNNNNNNNNND YOUUUUUUU [ahhh sorry couldn'y help myself, everybody loves a good movie quote right?..... right!?]
Anyway, back on track Cecilia.... *looks up and out the window staring at nothing imparticular* WOW...i really do have the attention span of a 8 week old puppy.

Continued... I'm not sure what type of Axolotls i have i haven't really looked into it,. I do happen to have an album of them on my profile feel free to check them out and leave a comment. DO IT... JUST DO IT. :] :wacko:
The person i got my cuties from was a mate from work and he didn't really want them and brang them into my work because he was taking them into the aqaurium shop to see they would take them off his hands.

.....SCENARIO: I stroll/semi strut.. (what? don't judge me :D) out to the back to see him and he's holding a container and places it on the bench top. My curious tad nosey nature forces me to investigate what's in the container.
*Peers in and stares at these two white slimy looking, slightly see through, frilly headed CUTE looking things... turns to Craig and blurts out "Mine!... i want them."*
Clearly i've never had these before, only a fishtank with goldfish at home in my room is the closest thing. Soooo... story goes he leaves them with me and Mum picks me up from work and i get in the car holding this container.
Mum: Sweety what's in the container?
Me: Uhmm nothing i just like containers full of water with alive stuff in them.. *stares back out window trying to block the top of container meanwhile mum trying to peer in*
Mum: Cecilia there better not be animals in there!
Me: Ahhh maybe *smiles sweetly* i love you....

...... BLAH BLAH BLAH
Next day went and bought a tank and they are hapily ever after! ....and i know their happily ever after because they had BABIES!!!! Woke up one morning, looked into the tank and what do i see?
LOTSSSSS of jelly covered half black half white balls all over the aquarium plants. I separted the adults from the eggs SO my friends the questions are...

Q- What do i do now in terms of food?... what do i fed them, how much, how often? where do i get the food from?
Water tempreture?
How many should be together in one container?
...And throw in any other info you might have.

Big slap on the back if you actually read through that whole blog! Yes i know i can talk talk talk. It's a gift a do possess :rolleyes:

Peace out.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

inkozana

Reaction score
OKAY LET'S START THINGS OFF.
Right, I don't think it's very wise to post your FULL name along with the area you live in.. just for safety reasons- also your profile picture is showing a bit too much skin and our moderators are a little picky about that - Caudata is not myspace :p

Also, your cute little mexicans are known as leucistic - you can tell from their black rims on the eyes
On the note of your little 'lotls - I'm afraid you had better change their substrate, gravel like that can be ingested and cause harm or even death.
I and probably other onlookers would like to know the size of your tank :artist: From the looks of things it's tiny. Recommended size tank for ONE axolotl would be 2 feet in length and 1-1.5 feet in width.
Good luck with your babies.

LEGS

Reaction score
Firstly...
Hey there, im great thanks how are you to you to ...
and that photo was from my shoulders up so not sure how that's showing too much skin but i have changed it.
Secondly i didn't post my area i lived in, it was my state... I don't think anyone from an axoltl site is going to stalk me or anything from that information :p
And yepp i know about the breed my cuties are if you read above someone already told me but thanks anyway, and i now have sand as the base. I did notice in your photos that you had small gravel though ?? hmmm.
Also my tank isn't tiny those photos were taken right up close to the tank. It is 80 cm by 40 cm it's an old fish tank my parents had made a few years ago..

Take care.. Peace :)

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Secondly i didn't post my area i lived in, it was my state... I don't think anyone from an axoltl site is going to stalk me or anything from that information :p

You'd be surprised who visits forums. Not saying any of the upstanding members of this board are creepy, but a lot of non-members visit this forum on a daily basis. One of them could very easily be ... creepy.

inkozana

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you did post the area you lived in, Western Australia is the state, and Perth is the city.
There are some weird people who come across this site, just to be safe only mention your country next time :)
Also, Eva sent you links to larvae, rearing and breeding, I didn't see her tell you anything about your type of axolotl (sorry, Eva).
Yes, some of my photos have gravel in them, I was new too - we all were - I'm trying to help you when I give you advice on axolotl care, from the stuff I've learnt.
My axolotl lives on sand now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!