Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Fridging Axolotls?

philbaker76

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read a lot about "fridging Axolotls"; but never really considered it (as I'd been lucky enough not to have any problems in the past).

However, after recently suffering both a fungus and a fatal VHS infection in some of my Axolotls; I now completely understand how frustrating and soul destroying it is when something like this does happen.

So, I just want to be ready - just-in-case anything else happens...

From searching and reading various posts...
  1. Fridge Temp should be around 5 deg.
  2. 100% water changes daily.
  3. Keep fresh water in the fridge for the next water change.
  4. When feeding, remove any un-eaten food after an hour or so.
Benefits to the Axolotl are...
  1. Cooling allows Axolotl to de-stress.
  2. Metabolism slows; slowing down any weight loss and progress of infection.
  3. The de-stressing helps the Axolotl fight the infection.
Overall, gives you time to find the cause of the problem.

I couldn't anything about how long to keep the Axolotl in the fridge - I assume it depends on the condition/Axolotl; but how long would be too long? Any suggestions?

Anything anyone can add? I want to be ready/confident in future I'm doing things right.

Cheers, Phil

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As long as they're feeding once in a while, and you're keeping them clean, some people have kept them in the fridge all summer long.

oceanblue

Reaction score
The consensus of site and threads I've read seem to prefer slightly warmer than 5C, recommending 7C. The top shelf of my fridge is this temperature. Despite this they don't seem to come to any harm below 5 in my limited experience.

Provided you do not let water quality slip (and with 100% changes it will not) there is probably no too long if they eat occasionally. Most small earthworms seem to survive indefinitely in cold water too until they mysteriously disappear, at a rate of less then a quarter of normal feeding rates, I'd recommend leaving a small worm in with the axolotl as it will not pollute the water, don't expect much else to be eaten. They do not seem to gorge when cold.

Basically fridge temperature is nearer to their ideal conditions than the usual tank!

I've fridged a healthy axolotl juvenile as I wanted the one it bit chunks out of to regenerate and grow faster in the warmth of the tank. In three months it slightly grew in length, gained about 10% weight and emerged lean and healthy and has shown rapid subsequent growth.

To summarise three months is fine.

Like others in the forum I was sorry to hear of your disease outbreak. Do carefully clean any containers/ nets etc. preferably with something like dilute bleach before re-using them. If you decide to throw them away treat them with bleach or burn them rather than just put them out with the rubbish to go to landfill.

philbaker76

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll be better prepared next time.

For the plastic containers; I usually rinse them in hot/boiling water ~ then wash them with either dilute Milton or a little washing-up liquid. Then I rinse them, and leave them to dry. ...I also give them another quick rinse before I re-use them (usually for hatching tubs, temp. homes while doing a full tank clean and quarantine tubs). Same cleaning routine goes for the nets.

The ones with the "Red Leg" problem were from me, but not with me - so no chance of cross contamination. Although they are being kept how I keep my Axolotls. All the other Axolotls are doing fine, it was just that one tub with those three in.

Seems my troubles aren't over; those Golds with the Fungus seem to have developed something else. Going to re-post on the Fungus thread I started.

Thanks for the posts. Cheers, Phil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1