Young Ambystoma maculatum found

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
Hi, I haven't found Ambystoma maculatum in quite some time. It surprised me to find a young one under a small board next to the road. He was surrounded by dry soil but, under the board he was nice, cool, and moist. The small patch of woods he was next to did not have a vernal pool though so I believe he came from a different patch of woods. The woods he was living in was only about 50 yards long and maybe 20 yards wide. The soil the trees were covering was also moist but not what I would expect a salamander to like. Usually I only find adults but this makes me very happy to see Ambystoma maculatum are successfully breeding in my town's vernal pools even though many ponds here are filthy and amphibians aren't able to live in. I stopped looking after I found this little guy. (or girl, I didn't touch him to find out cause I am unfimilar with my state laws involving them)

Here the little guy is!
salamanders001.jpg

salamanders002.jpg

Beautiful - s/he also looks very well nourished, no?

-Eva

Probably just found a nice, juicy slug.

Catching is stressful on the animaland I believe ant catcher said he wasn't familiar with his state's laws. I believe antcatcher was probably just herping.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back