The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 11th September 2008   #1
Larvaman

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Larvaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello!

Hi, everybody. My name is Chris and I live in Virginia. I currently have two Paddletail newts, Rojo and Akka, and four Eastern Spotted newts. Akka is the newest of the bunch, I got her only a month or two ago to keep Rojo company. They get along very well, and I think she's gravid now. I used to keep Rojo with the Eastern newts, because at the time I thought he was a Firebelly Newt (he was falsely labeled as such at the pet store where I got him) and didn't expect any aggression. Unfortunately he made a habit of ripping off the other newts' legs and (after some failed attempts at seperating them by putting a divider in the aquarium) I had to move Rojo to his own aquarium, which is why I got Akka. Now that they're seperated, everyone's getting along fine.

Larvaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008   #2
Jacquie

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: Hello!

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers Jacq.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008   #3
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

This was dangerous. You should definitely not mix eastern newts with other species. They are extremely toxic.

Are you sure Rojo and Akka probably are paddletail newts? This species is highly aggressive, even to their own kind, and very rarely breeds in captivity.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008   #4
Larvaman

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Larvaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I'm pretty sure that they are both P. labiatus. Rojo is definitely aggressive, at least to other species. He gets along very well with Akka, though, I havn't seen any aggression between them and they typically sleep next to each other in the same cave.

Larvaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008   #5
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

That's very interesting!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hello!