A new Pachytriton species was described

houmian

Reaction score
Country
China
Display Name
HouMian
Acta Zoologica Sinica, 2008, 54(Issue 4):645 - undefined

Title: A new species of salamander (Pachytriton archospotus). from Hunan Province, China (Amphibia, Salamandridae)

Authors: SHEN You-Hui, SHEN Duan-Wen, MO Xiao-Yang

College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha 410081, Hunan, China

Abstract: This paper describes a new species of the genus Pachytriton from Hunan, China. This new species exhibits characteristics typical of the genus Pachytrito which currently contains two species. We examined specimens of Pachytriton brevipes from Fujian Wuyishan and Pachytriton labiatus from Guangxi Dayaoshan. The new species displays some characteristics that differ from those of P. brevipes and P. labiatus. Our results indicated that salamanders from Guidong County, Hunan Province, China, are distinct from other species of the genus and should be recognized as a new species.

Pachytriton archospotus. Shen, Shen et Mo, sp. nov. (Table 1)
Holotype HNUL 870526511. An adult male(Fig.1), total length 166.3 mm. Type locality:Qiyunshan(25°24′N,114°00′E)Guidong County, Hunan Province. China, at the altitude of 1250m, May 26, 1987, Collected by Deng Youhua.
Allotype HNUL 870526514, An adult female, collected by the same people, at same locality and same collecting time as the holotype.

Paratype 8♂♂,13♀♀ Collected by the same people at same locality and same collecting time as the holotype.
The type specimens (Holotype Allotype and Paratype) are deposited in the College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University.

Diagnosis: 1. The new species has black spots over its whole body similar to Pachytriton brevipes, However it differs from latter. There are Fontsquamosal arches on the skull of the new species and its epibranchial bone is straight, but Pachytriton brevipes hasn’t Frontosquamosal arches and the tip of epibranchial bone is curved. Although Pachytriton labiatus has Frontosquamosal arches, however its epibranchial bone is curved and hasn’t black spots on the body (Fig.2, Fig.3). 2. The snout length of the new species is shorter than interocular space, and the snout length of Pachytriton brevipes is longer than interocular space. The snout length of Pachytriton labiatus is longer than or equal to interocular space.

Their head forms are different. Although their head length is longer than their head width, their snout length, interocular space and head length are equalless. 3. The new species cloacal areas of male don’t swell during their breeding season. Only around vent slight raised. Cloacal papillae are longer and more, but cloacal regions of Pachytriton brevipes and Pachytriton labiatus showing swollen glandular area around vent in male during the breeding season and the cloacal papillae are shorter and fewer.

Using one-way analysis of variances (ANOVA), the differences of snout-vent length, head width, head length, snout length and interocular space were significant. Using the analyeis of the least aigncificant differences (LSD), the results further indicated the differences of head width, snout length and interouclar apace among these three apecies were significant [Acta Zoologica Sinica 54(4): 645– 652, 2008].

AW: A new Pachytriton species was described

Thanks houmian for the text!
Do you have a pdf of this paper that you can send?

Paul

Wow, and with salamander morphology within a species shown to be so plastic, they offer no genetic data in unison with the morphology to justify this as a new species? Puzzling.

Wow, and with salamander morphology within a species shown to be so plastic, they offer no genetic data in unison with the morphology to justify this as a new species? Puzzling.
Nate, I'm not as cynical as you (you go up to 11 on the Cynicism scale :p), but I do agree that these guys are sailing pretty close to the wind if they're not going to present some DNA information.

Re: AW: A new Pachytriton species was described

Thanks houmian for the text!
Do you have a pdf of this paper that you can send?
Paul

Yes I have, if you want a copy only tell me your E-mail.

I think this new guy is a offshoot in Pachytriton D group.

AW: A new Pachytriton species was described

I send a p.m.

Paul

Nice to know about a new specie that is no longer A,B,C,D...Z :) And now we have some info about their location. Any picture from their habitat? Temperatures all year round? Breeding time? Number of eggs?
By the way, anybody discovered that he has this new specie by surprise?
Best greetings

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back