Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What should I do with the baby newts?

Steve Flack

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have had a couple of newts for a few years now (one male one female), and have just stumbled across this site, and I can't believe I haven't seen it before!

My female newt (Alberta) has just started laying eggs, and there are a number of tadpoles that are now swimming about. This has happened once or twice before, and none have actually survived more than a few days. What should I do? Should they be separated? How do I ensure they are getting enough food?

Basically, does anyone have any tips on what I should do to make sure some newt babies survive!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

All the best
James

P.S. I should specify that these are sharp ribbed newts!

Steve Flack

Reaction score
Baby newts...help!

Hi everyone!
I have had a couple of newts for a few years now (one male one female), and have just stumbled across this site, and I can't believe I haven't seen it before!

My female newt (Alberta) has just started laying eggs, and there are a number of tadpoles that are now swimming about. This has happened once or twice before, and none have actually survived more than a few days. What should I do? Should they be separated? How do I ensure they are getting enough food?

Basically, does anyone have any tips on what I should do to make sure some newt babies survive!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

All the best
James

P.S. I should specify that these are sharp ribbed newts!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!