Couple of these little guys

Attachments

• Pictures sept 19th 101.jpg
    Pictures sept 19th 101.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 557
  • Pictures sept 19th 102.jpg
    Pictures sept 19th 102.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 483
wow! thats freakin cool! could you post some better pics? almost can´t understand! congrats!
how many morphs?

These guys have just freshly morphed. They seem to want to be out of the water as soon as their color changes before even losing the entirety of their gills. I am keeping them in a container set up with half of it as a bed of springtails half damp paper towel with hides. I am also still feeding them blackworms. At this time the yellow stripe on their back seems to be more prominate than the dots down the sides but they are certainly there. I think they will become more obvious as the grow?

This is a better picture of their set up. At this time I think I have about 12 morphs and a few more larvae.

Attachments

• Pictures sept 22th 013.jpg
    Pictures sept 22th 013.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 523
They look great Audrey! Have you measured them yet?

That's a very smart setup. Well done. I think you'll have to write another article for us ;).

Hé Audrey,
Here are some from me!
Petro

i unexpectedly got a breeding and found only 7 larvae left by the time I noticed. 4 have morphed and died right away, do they have a 'dry' preference? I was keeping them on java moss at a medium humidity -any hints on how to get the last ones to survive? my room temp is 70 F.

When mine first morphed I still gave them a water option (very shallow and sloped) for a little while. They may go off food for a little while, but, thanks to the advice of people on here, try fruit fly larvae, they LOVE them.

I then used yogurt lids with water in and blackworms in the other and threw in fruit flies, pinheads and fruit fly larvae.

The issue I had (I had 43 morphs) was that some ended up with bumps on their spine, like a calcium deficiency. After the zoo hospital treated them in calcium gluconate solution they died :(
I had a total of 22 left - only one of which has a slight bump just in front of the tail on the spine but did not get treated so lived. 10 got really big and they went to other zoos and I still have 10 left (2 died last year of unknown reasons).

I must admit though that they are now 2.5 years old and still quite small and although this isn't my post, I wonder whether people have any advice on increasing growth rate (I think this may be advantageous to the questioners here as well). I feed them gut-loaded 1 week crickets and blackworms. They would not approve any additional foods for them such as phoenix worms and springtails...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back