Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starting to setup my TANK!

oneatos

Reaction score
Hello! - this is my second post - I am getting ready to setup my tank and get to Axolotls!

Let me know what you guys think of the size - its a 55 Gallon tank... Is the filter ok?

Thanks!

PD - Also, if you know or have two Axolotls I can acquire let me know! I have posted a thread in the proper section for it. I am looking for two Leucistic Axolotls (babies).

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG00093.jpg
    IMG00093.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG00094.jpg
    IMG00094.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 168

oneatos

Reaction score
Anyone?

hello! - this is my second post - i am getting ready to setup my tank and get to axolotls!

Let me know what you guys think of the size - its a 55 gallon tank... Is the filter ok?

Thanks!

Pd - also, if you know or have two axolotls i can acquire let me know! I have posted a thread in the proper section for it. I am looking for two leucistic axolotls (babies).

Thanks,

oregon newt

Reaction score
Your tank size is good, but I'm not sure about the filter. In fish keeping, the rule is 10gph for every gallon. Your filter is 325 gph which would, according to the rule, be the right size filter for a 32 1/2 gallon tank. I'm not sure if the same rule applies for newts though.

oneatos

Reaction score
That is good to know - from what I have been reading for Axolotls you want to not create a current. I wonder if the GPH has an influence on that.

I hope more people help me out.

Thank You!

Your tank size is good, but I'm not sure about the filter. In fish keeping, the rule is 10gph for every gallon. Your filter is 325 gph which would, according to the rule, be the right size filter for a 32 1/2 gallon tank. I'm not sure if the same rule applies for newts though.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The tank size is good. For axies, many people use a smaller-size filter than what is recommended for fish. I think you're OK there.

For obtaining axies, I'd recommend placing an ad in the Wanted area, or looking through the for sale ads.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Hi just posting my two cents....

The tank size is fine. The filter is probably fine too. Maybe its weak but the axolotls don't like a strong current anyway. I don't count on my filters to do a lot of cleaning for me. I siphon off uneaten food and poop with a turkey baster when I can.

What do you plan to use for substrate? Lights, any?

Sharon

oregon newt

Reaction score
The tank size is good. For axies, many people use a smaller-size filter than what is recommended for fish. I think you're OK there.

For obtaining axies, I'd recommend placing an ad in the Wanted area, or looking through the for sale ads.
Thanks for clarying that!:)

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is good to know - from what I have been reading for Axolotls you want to not create a current. I wonder if the GPH has an influence on that.

I hope more people help me out.

Thank You!

Hi Oneatos,

Axolotls do not like water movement true. With a waterfall filter, all you need to do is place an obstruction (plants, rocks, ornaments, etc) in front of the flow to break the current.

If you fill the tank to the top this will also help dissipate the water flow from the waterfall as the water will then not be falling from a great height.

oneatos

Reaction score
That was my next question - substrate! I am not sure what to get - I certainly do not want them to eat any of it... I have been thinking about sand and placing a feeding crystal bowl so when they feed they wont mistakenly swallow sand.

There are two lights underneath the tank covers, and I was thinking of replacing them with black light - what do you guys think?

Hi just posting my two cents....

The tank size is fine. The filter is probably fine too. Maybe its weak but the axolotls don't like a strong current anyway. I don't count on my filters to do a lot of cleaning for me. I siphon off uneaten food and poop with a turkey baster when I can.

What do you plan to use for substrate? Lights, any?

Sharon

oneatos

Reaction score
I did - hopefully I will get some soon. So far, I have contacted some of the suppliers you referred me to and I might get them from them. They have some golden albinos about 4 inches.

I really want a leucistic, but I suppose if they are available around december they will be babies. Are they hard to take in their early stage?

oneatos

Reaction score
Thank you! that helps... I will be shopping tomorrow for plant and rocks, etc. I have to decide on substrate today.

Hi Oneatos,

Axolotls do not like water movement true. With a waterfall filter, all you need to do is place an obstruction (plants, rocks, ornaments, etc) in front of the flow to break the current.

If you fill the tank to the top this will also help dissipate the water flow from the waterfall as the water will then not be falling from a great height.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Oneatos,

Sand is definitely the way to go - even if the axolotls swallow some, it passes quite easily through their system. Just be sure not to use marine sand, or beach sand - the least expensive type is to get children's play sand (it's much less expensive than sand marketed specifically for aquaria).

You could actually do without lights at all, as far as the axolotls are concerned. If you need the lights for plants, though, be sure to provide lots of good hiding spaces (flower pots, etc., something completely dark underneath) where the axolotls can escape from the light.

People here in Germany use something called "moon lights". I'm not really sure what that is but the pictures taken with those lights on make me think they must be blue lights, if not black lights.

By the way, your tank looks nice and roomy - a perfect home for two axolotls, in my opinion.

-Eva

ferret_corner

Reaction score
That was my next question - substrate! I am not sure what to get - I certainly do not want them to eat any of it... I have been thinking about sand and placing a feeding crystal bowl so when they feed they wont mistakenly swallow sand.

There are two lights underneath the tank covers, and I was thinking of replacing them with black light - what do you guys think?

Try a reptile night time spectrum light. LONG LONG LONG ago - I read on a fish forum that the black light that shows off neon? causes tumors and/or cancer in fish.

Because of my plants I have sun mimicking bulbs but the axies have places to go to get out of the light - but they don't. Mostly they hang out in the flat parts or in the tank w/the log - one likes to lay on top of the log!

I've had slate bottoms (cool and fun), bare bottoms (kinda neat w/mirror effect) and now sand. Get brown sand if you're going to go that route. None of them were better than others excpet in the case of sand. White sand is a pain in the patootie to keep WHITE. I Imagine the other colored sands are the same except for the darker ones.

Don't do the dish thing. Half the fun for the little guys is hunting out the food. Its more work for me though to clean up what they didn't find, but its neat to watch them shoveling through the sand in search of tidbits.

Sharon

oneatos

Reaction score
I think you sold me on the sand - will sandbox sand from home depot work? I haven't looked at prices, but this might be the way I go. Although I was thinking of a white/black combination.

I've never had live plants and I am actually considering them - still don't know which ones to get that would go well with my axolotls... but I have read some threads and will try to find them.

Do you know if you can still have live plants with "moon lights" or black light?

Cheers,

Ulysses

Hi Oneatos,

Sand is definitely the way to go - even if the axolotls swallow some, it passes quite easily through their system. Just be sure not to use marine sand, or beach sand - the least expensive type is to get children's play sand (it's much less expensive than sand marketed specifically for aquaria).

You could actually do without lights at all, as far as the axolotls are concerned. If you need the lights for plants, though, be sure to provide lots of good hiding spaces (flower pots, etc., something completely dark underneath) where the axolotls can escape from the light.

People here in Germany use something called "moon lights". I'm not really sure what that is but the pictures taken with those lights on make me think they must be blue lights, if not black lights.

By the way, your tank looks nice and roomy - a perfect home for two axolotls, in my opinion.

-Eva

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Yeah I got white play sand and brown play sand from homedepot - about $2 - $4 for each 50# bag.

Sharon

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you sold me on the sand - will sandbox sand from home depot work?

I'm assuming this sandbox sand is 'play sand'? If so, then yes it will be fine.

Sand is a terrific substrate, so easy to keep clean and looks great!

Whichever sand you use, you will need to rinse it thoroughly before adding to the tank. When cleaning my play sand, I used the bucket method. Put the sand in a bucket, pour in water, swirl the sand around and then pour the water out. The water run off will be cloudy at first. Repeat method until the water run off is clear and then you can add this clean sand to the tank.

I try to keep my substrate to only a centimetre depth so gas pockets don't develop.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Ulysses (love that name),

I don't know about how much moonlightswill nourish plants. If you have plastic plants, of course, it doesn't really matter, right?

I googled a bit and found out that they are inded called moonlights. Maybe if you search this forum or the WWW, you can find out more information?

Sorry I can't be of more help with that.

-Eva

P.S. Look what I just read in another thread:

from
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?p=164383#post164383

Blacklights can have intense UV rays, which can burn retinas of humans. I suspect they will also affect axolotls in this manner.

-Evahttp://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?p=164383#post164383

Last edited:

blueberlin

Reaction score
I searched for "aquarium moon light" and got lots of hits, both on the web and as images.

-Eva

oneatos

Reaction score
I am cleaning the substrate as I write... its rinsing!

Got white sand from home depot and some black ... mixing and cleaning!:D

I'm assuming this sandbox sand is 'play sand'? If so, then yes it will be fine.

Sand is a terrific substrate, so easy to keep clean and looks great!

Whichever sand you use, you will need to rinse it thoroughly before adding to the tank. When cleaning my play sand, I used the bucket method. Put the sand in a bucket, pour in water, swirl the sand around and then pour the water out. The water run off will be cloudy at first. Repeat method until the water run off is clear and then you can add this clean sand to the tank.

I try to keep my substrate to only a centimetre depth so gas pockets don't develop.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1