Mating again???

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello!

I'm wondering if there is a pattern to my newts' mating cycle? It seems as though one of my newts, Amethyst, is acting very strange right now. She looks much bigger than usual, and she's not eating any differently than normal ( not any more and not any less). Last year at this time exactly, she began her egg laying which lasted several months. I read on your site that newts will normally mate in the Winter and Spring...I'm assuming this is what's going on, but I'm not sure, and am feeling a bit concerned.

If she has the typical pear-like shape, and the cloaca looks different i´d say she is gravid. My pair is breeding again after two months (since the last time which lasted for 9 months), so i guess healthy pairs will breed almost consistently with no particular relation to the time of the year.
I´m curious, can you think of anything you´ve done that might have triggered the breeding? I ask this because i´m convinced my pair always breeds after being terrestrial for a day while i move from one city to another.

Hi, Azhael!

Thanks for your reply! Hmmm...I find it very interesting that you mention that your newts breed after being terrestrial for a day. One thing that was strange to me regarding the behaviour of Amethyst was that she was in fact sitting upon this log in the tank for a long while, and she's very much an aquatic newt. I've actually not seen Amethyst out of the water in a very long time, if at all. It seems as though my Chinese Firebellies all have very distinct preferences, and this seemed to be one of hers. I am certainly not doing anything to encourage breeding, however. How interesting that my newts also continued to mate for months and months the very first time...it has been a while since Amethyst last had babies...I suppose we'll see what happens! Thanks for your help! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back