Question: Car travelling with an axie? Otherwise free to a good home!

Isabel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Isabel & family
Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience of taking an axie on a long car trip (3 days)? :confused: My husband and I are relocating from Cairns to Sydney (about a 3 day drive) and wondering if we'll be able to take Taco with us (we were thinking of having him/her in a container/bag in an esky). Unfortunately s/he's got a bit of a fungus thing again (fluffy white stuff) and is back in the fridge (which has cured it before) so I'm wondering if that's going to make it any riskier, given that s/he's already a bit stressed (probably because it's been warming up here in Cairns and I hadn't managed to keep the water temp down enough...)

Anyway, any suggestions on traveling with an axie would be great...

Otherwise if there's anyone out there in Cairns, Brisbane or Sydney (or anywhere in between) who would be happy to adopt a cute little (but mature - s/he's got black tipped toes) leucistic axie, let me know... (I can post photos if you like)...

Cheers,

Isabel

Oh. Wow lol. Hmm... it would be risky but you could probably pull it off if you do the odd water change along the way and not let the water get too warm. If I had to do it, I'd put the little one in the actual esky with as much water as possible to stabilise conditions a bit and keep the esky well cushioned. Keep Taco in the fridge until you go. You should give him/her a salt bath 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes to help get rid of the fungus. Full instructions on making and giving a salt bath are plastered in the 'Sick Axie' section at this time of year. I wish you the best of luck :p

wat sort of water temps were u keeping up there in cairns?? i live on the gold coast if u need to make a pit stop to change water/give salt bath...

When I moved back from university I had to take my Axies on a 4 hour car journey and for that I had to mix the water they were in every hour with a cup to ensure it remained oxygenated. They weren't that stressed and would probably be alright if I hadn't done so as often. I'd say mix the water every few hours (alot of work I know) and keep the container as one with a fixed lid and no clear sides to avoid stress. I left some loose water plants floating to provide a sense of cover. They should be alright with the water in their mostly but will probably gulp a bit now and then but its about the best i can sugest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back