Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Should I?

Plonk

Reaction score
I have read the endless million threads on floating axolotls but none of them seem to answer my question. My axie has been floating since last night, I think he swollowed a large pebble. I know I should be smacked for having pebbles but they are the big ones and a breeder told me that these are great coverage for them * yeh right*. Ok, is it ok for me to still feed him when he is floating or should I wait? They are due for a water change and a feed.

Kiowa

Reaction score
Hello

I think you should put your axolotl in the fridge if he/she has swallowed a pebble.
Sorry I can only be brief because I'm quite busy.

See you and Good Luck

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Plonk,

Axolotls will float for a variety of reasons.

If the axolotl has swallowed a stone, he will not likely be inclined to eat while impacted. If you suspect he has impaction, fridging him will aid him in passing the stone.

Water quality issues are another contributor to floating. If you could advise on your tank parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate that would be most helpful.

Bare bottom or sand are the best substrates for axolotls. Stones smaller than two centimeters are hazardous to axolotls and should be removed - axolotls have very big mouths and will reguarly snuffle through substrate looking for food and swallow the rocks.

Larger stones are okay and look nice, but the only way to clean the muck which will accumulate underneath is to manually shift those stones around. Muck under the substrate wreaks havoc with water quality.

Cheers Jacq.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1