Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bubbles at the surface?...

drmunroe

Reaction score
Just have a behavior question: why to my axies swim to the surface & expel bubbles? R they "burping"?

coichards

Reaction score
Axies have lungs so they accasionally breathe air and usally float around the top because their is too much air in them but eventully 'burp' it out. Mine do this sometimes and I don't think its a bad thing.
(athough other users might have something else to say about it)

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Dr Munroe,

Are you talking about larvae? They do this a lot.

-Eva

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Good question. When they look like adults but are not yet sexually mature - teenagers (juveniles). All four legs fully developed, I guess.

Either way.

It's when they swim to the surface and gulp in air that is a worry. I believe the lungs begin developing around the same time the back legs do, so that the larvae at this point may be trying out their new organs (just another one of my many theories, none of which are really based on fact).

A couple of days ago I fished out one of my juveniles (hatched 20 April 2008) and put him into a clear glass dish to make some pictures. I noticed he burped up an air bubble three times. I don't know if this is something they do when they are upset, or if he had just gotten air into his lungs while I was sloshing him around.

None of which really answers your question, I suppose. Main thing is, as always - axolotls are just weird animals sometimes and if there are no other symptoms of stress or disease, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Eva

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's completely normal for axolotls to gulp air at the surface, as well as to 'burp' it out.

As others have said, you may occasionally see them go up for air, and then float around at the top, then burp it out and sink. Unless they're continuously floating, this isn't an issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1