Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

paramesotriton hongkongensis breeding

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I have a small colony of P. Hongkongensis that have been very healthy and eating well. I've never gad any of them breed yet and would like some pointers. I've only had this bunch since the beginging of this summer and this is my 1st time having them so I lack alittle wisdom with these newts. Advice please!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Feed them like crazy right now, as they need to put on fat reserves. Don't hesitate to use high-fat foods like earthworms, or even waxworms. Get them as cool as possible during the winter - I could be more specific if I knew what options you have for cooling them (basement, garage, unheated room, etc). You don't want them too cold, and I'm not a Parameso expert, but if you give some information about what options you have available for cooling, others may be able to advise. Don't be discouraged if they don't breed the first year you have them.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Thank you much. I am feeding them like crazy and they are really fat. The cooling method will be simple. I will cool them in my basement the temperature will be between 40-45 degrees. What I want to know is how long should I cool them for? And is this temperature suffice? Should I even lower water levels? During the cooling period should they still be feed? I don't want to put my newts into a cooling period without enough knowlegde don't want to put them in danger. And I can't just assume that they can sustain a cooling period just the same as my other newts. Advice please!

louise

Reaction score
Mine have bred two years running, and I didn't cool them during the winter. I have four of them in a 2 foot tank with lots of plants.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Very Informative! I'll gather and utilise as much information as possible. Thank you everyone!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think 40-45F might be too cold. Are you sure your basement is really that cold? Do you have a cool room that is less-cold than that?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Yes my basement is really that cold. I have 2 backrooms in my basement where I cool my other newts. If I slightly crack a window it could get even colder than that. I keep a thermometer in that room as well. So then if its not the dropping of the temperature then what is it that triggers mating? Water level? Photoperiod? What?

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In my experience of breeding other species in this genus, I would say that manipulating photoperiod (ie reduce for the winter then increase in the spring) along with a slight winter cooling, but nothing too much. A room that gets a little cooler during the winter anyway, say an unheated spare bedroom or something, should do - warmed by the rest of the house but dipping a bit in the winter. If you can position the tank so that it gets a little indirect natural sunlight through a north or NE facing window (in the northern hemisphere) to augment the artificial lighting.
With regards for the length of the cooling, just follow the season where you live - if you are using an unheated room this will happen anyway.
Watch for aggression between males.

Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!