Water Test Kit

oneatos

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Ulysses
Hello - I just bought a test kit... Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit from PetCo.

I am not sure if this would be a good one for my axolotl tank - Can anyone help me? If this is not good, which one should I get?

Thanks,

Attachments

• Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_Freshwater_Master_Test_Kit_A.jpg
    Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_Freshwater_Master_Test_Kit_A.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Yeah that kit is absolutely fine.
Really you only need to test 4 parameters with Axolotls.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate which is part of the nitrogen cycle and shows how your Axies waste is broken down.

pH aswell, but to be fair I doubt anyone has major problems with this unless their adding vinegar or limestone to their tank.

Thanks - I will keep it then. :D

Yeah that kit is absolutely fine.
Really you only need to test 4 parameters with Axolotls.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate which is part of the nitrogen cycle and shows how your Axies waste is broken down.

pH aswell, but to be fair I doubt anyone has major problems with this unless their adding vinegar or limestone to their tank.

Good deal, Ulysses! I paid 100 euros for mine. :eek:

-Eva

lol I get mine at walmart for less than $5 testing 6 different things in one. It does the trick just fine for me.

The dip-stick type tests are notoriously inaccurate and expire fairly quickly.

Is there a test kit out there that would give you an accurate numerical result? Because I hate looking at the color and the the pallet... prone to a lot of errors!

Which one do you use?

Our water test kit was showing we had ammonia when we didn't, so before you test your axolotl water, test normal water and if that comes up showing it has ammonia, then it's faulty.

Our water test kit was showing we had ammonia when we didn't, so before you test your axolotl water, test normal water and if that comes up showing it has ammonia, then it's faulty.

That's not true! Some councils add ammonia to the tap water, just like they add chlorine to make it 'cleaner'.

chelsbels said:

It's only natural that you should get a positive result for ammonia in your tap water, because the water utility would have added ammonia to water that contains free chlorine. A reaction of this nature forms what we know as chloramine.

If you treat the tap water with a conditioner that removes both chlorine and chloramine, and then test the water again, you may very well get another reading for ammonia. The reason for this is because most ammonia test kits also detect ammonium.

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back