Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing axolotls

AxoBreeder

Reaction score
I have 6 mature axolotls, and they do breed, but i couldnt tell you which one was laying the eggs if my life depended on it! I do know the major rules for sexing, but could somebody please clarify them for me? It seems some of mine are half way between all of the rules!
:eek:

A couple of them have very swollen cloacas, and another that i am certain is a female has a very round, bloated body. the others are quite indistinguishable. Does that mean they will breed soon?

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
Hi,
The ones with swollen cloacas are almost certainly males. Also the one you said have a bloated body, does it look gravid? Or is it possible that it has swallowed some substrate?

Blackhawk

AxoBreeder

Reaction score
I would post some pics but my camera is out of action haha. Im not sure how to tell if she is "gravid" and no i dont think she has, she came to me quite fat. Ive got three wildtypes (all different colours/ hues) an axanthic albino, and two goldens. I have managed to sex 2 wild types and the albino. The others are a little ambiguous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!