Question: newt not under water

rafaelcoelho

Reaction score
Country
Canada
hey this is my first post.. i used to have a newt a really long time ago...and it was a firebelly newt.. i bought it while it was an adult a long time ago but now i got a new one which is very little... and he wont go under the water all it does is swim above the water... can anyone please explain to me why its not going under the water? please and thanks..
i got it about 3 days ago

hey again.. ive checked the faqs.. but the problem is my newt seems like its floating... not because it wants to float if it goes down under the water... it automaticly goes back up with out even doing any effort..

hey again.. ive checked the faqs.. but the problem is my newt seems like its floating... not because it wants to float if it goes down under the water... it automaticly goes back up with out even doing any effort..

Sounds like Gas bubble disease, or common bloat. The Bloat could be due to crowded conditions compounded with poor water quality at the pet store you aquired it at. I think that juv.(the very small ones) are very difficult to get to feed from any pet shop. I'd put him in a more land based set-up. If it's very young, it simply may not be ready to go back to the full on water yet. Plus certain populations of this species tend to stay on land near water in the wild. I hope this helps... Maybe you can post a pic?

I don't think it sounds like gas bubble or bloat. A FBN that is land-adapted will float, and it will usually swim frantically to get back to land. If this newt is still a juvenile, that is at least part of the reason it isn't water adapted.

As explained in the FAQ, you can either attempt to gradually water adapt the newt, or you can resign yourself to keeping it terrestrially for a while. If it won't go in water, you may need to find some ways to feed it on land.

yeah thanks everyone.. but one thing.. i went back into the store where i bought it and asked the guy why it wont eat and stay under water... he was telling me how he just put water and his all got used to staying under... and they are all the same size... also... i bought it the first day that they had come into the shop... another thing.. its floating from its head mostly.. not from behind.. ill try to post a picture soon... tell me what u guys think might be the problem.. thanks everyone =)

Are you sure he dosn't go down at night? as that specicies is uselly active at night.

DSCN2147.jpg

does he look like this?This newt was stressed when the picture was taken.

chris:wacko:

heyy thanks for the picture... yeah it looks a bit like that but my water is a bit higher up... could it be because its stressed?... im not very sure.. what can i do to make unstressed?

A massage maybe? lol, just kidding, the same thing happened to my newts when i got them, a week ago. I was really worried with them, but they eventually got used to the tank and stoped being stressed. I think thats what you should do with yours. Also avoid things that stress them like other animals, picking them up, poking them with a stick etc. Oh i also found out that my newts really dont like me looking down on them from the top of the tank. But from my small ammount of experience i'd say leave them alone. Worked with me.

yeah ill try that...im gonna leave it alone these next days... see if it relaxes and goes under the water... all its pretty much doing is swimming at the top of the water right now... tell me if u guys got anyother ideas... thanks for the replies guys =)

Also do not have the lights on just keep the tank dark,cool and un disturbed :yin-yang: that picture was taken in the early days of my newts when I just got them

chris:wacko:

good news! it this morning i took a look at it right when i woke up.. and it was under water... but once i went to put food for it... it went back up... i guess it got scared when i looked at it..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back