Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are fog makers good for tiger salamanders?

axolotllady

Reaction score
I just got a tiger salamander and I was wondering if a fog maker would benefit him in any way? Also, I was told that fire belly toads can live with him, is that true? He is in a twenty gallon and is only five inches long. The toads are about an inch or so. Thanks everyone! :D

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Please don't mix species. The combo you suggested is a bad combo. You can do a search for mixing species and get all kinds of horror stories here on Caudata.org

If your area is supremely dry - a fogger may be of benefit. My tiger has a deep pool of water for the dry times. The plants in his viv help keep the soil moist.

Sharon

exotics

Reaction score
becareful with foggers though. make sure you cover them up they can sort of give of an electric shock if touched by your animals

axolotllady

Reaction score
Got rid of the toads and only turn on the fogger when I am watching, just for a fun change for him. Thanks guys. :D

JWERNER

Reaction score
Put the fogger in a very small Tupperware container with lots of big holes in it so that water can pass into it. Drop it into the water portion.

Or,... if you don't have a wet/dry type of setup use a larger container with holes in the lid and fill it up with enough water needed to run the foger. Then cover it or hide it with some moss or something.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
becareful with foggers though. make sure you cover them up they can sort of give of an electric shock if touched by your animals

Wow seriously? I wouldn't think that would be a good product design for an item that is used in an aquatic environment or in housing with animals?

Sharon

JWERNER

Reaction score
I cant see the shorting out but I can say they do shock you and its a pretty good shock. Its really irritating getting shocked by one and ends up with you getting a sore throat from various curse words coming out of the mouth at such high tones. Also the sensation goes straight to your shoulders into your lower neck and leaves your teeth feeling as if they lost all the lamination on them for a few minutes.:mad:.

I constantly got shocked by the one I owned. I worried about the animals but someone said they don't get shocked:confused:. I never took that chance and devised my methods listed.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
The foggers do not actually shock. What they do is vibrate at ultra high frequencies. That vibration is great for aerosolizing water. If an amphibian gets in there or in contact with it the vibrations can damage the internal organs. It is the same premise as using high frequencies to break up kidney stones.

JWERNER

Reaction score
Really? Have you ever put your finger in the stream of water? Is it supposed to feel like a shock? Mine at least felt like it did and it sucked!

MRIGUY

Reaction score
I agree that it does feel shocking but nobody would make or be allowed to sell a device that emits an electrical shock into the water for the purpose of making fog. It is simply high frequency vibrations and your sensory nerves perceive the sensation as similar to a shock.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!