Planted Paludarium for Tiger Salamanders

spendday

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
J
Ok I’m may be planning a paludarium for a group of tiger salamanders (probably Ambystoma mavortium) or maybe a group of fire salamanders as I have a 4 foot fish tank and no idea what to do with it. its naturally going to be mainly terrestrial with a shallow pool area.

Anyway I know about European plant species but I want to know about American plant species that would go well in a tiger salamander vivarium. Ones that are found where tiger salamanders reside in the wild. I would also like an idea of any mosses thanks you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a nice tank. I would be concerned it would be A. a little too wet as tigers like moist but not wet and B. tigers are diggers and may trash your plants. The wetness can be overcome by using only small amounts of water in a heavy dish for those times when he wants to take a dip. As for the plants, the selection is only limited by what you want the tank to look like. Will there be a back wall? There are lots of small creeping plants and vines that will work well. The problem is that you will need low light plants unless you want your tiger(s) living in bright light and the heat it produces. That has lots of problems as you can imagine. I find that oak leaf fig does OK with low light as does some species of peperomia

I'll look at my notes and see what else might work for you.

as I said it's still very in the "idea" stage. I havent decided on a background yet if i do i'll probably use a coco panel, if i have one. i did think about the fossorial of tiger salamanders and have a few ideas maybe about how to protect any plants or i may choose a different species, if i end up adding any animals i may just leave it as an indoor garden.

as for the plants im currently thinking
mosses
ferns
ivys
something with broad leaves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back