My Axies:Constructive critisim and advice welcome

coichards

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Here are a few pictures of my axies, does oscar, leuctisic under weight. they are only juvinile but could anyone determine the sex, remembering that they where born at the same time(siblings)

will eventully post more and I would just like to say... you dont have much space to put pictures. I used a 6mp camera at full resolution and the picts. turend out to be 4.1 mb, I then found that the site only takes 390.6 KB picts so I had to go back onto the camera and resize them, upload them to my computer and than add them. But its probally the same with other forums
:talker:

Last edited:
Cute! I love them both! The last photo of non-oscar looks so cute :eek: Does s/he per chance have a name :p
Also, Oscar is not dangerously thin, but will do well with more food.
You want the axolotl's head to be the same width as their tummy. He's almost there :p

Yeah, I thought that was cute to.
big googly eyes and he was doing a wierd thing with his tounge.
'non oscar' is still awaiting a name, when I get some time I am going to have a good look at the thread with axie names in it
:bowl::sick:

Hello there Coichards. From the pictures you have posted, I couldn't be too sure on the sex of them. But from head and body shape of both, the wildtype looks like it could be female and the leucistic (Oscar) could be male. But the body and head shape is not a definate sign of sexing, as I had males that had broad heads and round bellies. The definate way to sex is by the size of the cloaca. If you could post pictures of side shots then that would be great.

When I bred my axolotls and raised the young, I could tell which were males from a very young age (around 2-3 months when they had all limbs) as they had a tiny little swollen cloaca (they were very hard to see....I had to use a magnifying glass...Haha!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back