Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pseudobranchus axanathus feeding

Jake

Reaction score
Here is a video of a couple Pseudobranchus axanathus axanathus during feeding time. The beginning of the video shows one almost in the center of the screen, somewhat hidden in the shadows, getting ready to feed on the mass of blackworms in front of it. This group seems very shy while I'm near the tank (unlike my newts). You have to look closely to see them for the first half, but after that they become more active. The substrate in the tank is not pea gravel, it's play sand, the sirens are just so small it looks like gravel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvoCRP2Eluo

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I agree with Coen. Excellent, Jacob and thank you very much for sharing.;)

Jake

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Dawn-I go through about 1 pound every week to two weeks depending on if I have a lot of larvae at the time. Raising them for all my animals would take way too much room.

creekcritter

Reaction score
Nice Jacob! Thanks for sharing with us. What else have you made vids of?

Jake

Reaction score
Nice Jacob! Thanks for sharing with us. What else have you made vids of?

Thanks Tom.

I've made a couple others, nothing really special, this one is kind of lame considering they don't move much, but I like the subjects.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Good Job, Jacob! Very well done and interesting to see.

I like the setup - what is the size of the tank and what size are the sirens?

Axel01

Reaction score

Echo that superb. There's something almost Chinese dragon like about them. I wonder if they are available in the UK

Jake

Reaction score

The tank is 45 gallons, the sirens are all around 6-6.5 inches.
Echo that superb. There's something almost Chinese dragon like about them. I wonder if they are available in the UK

If they are available in the UK they probably cost a LOT of money! I know there are a couple people keeping them over there though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1