Pseudotriton ruber

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Here are a few of the Pseudotriton ruber in my collection. This is one of the only times I've seen this many out and about so I decided to take a video. It's during feeding time (note the chopped worms). Pay no attention to the ending, I tried to get the Lissotriton vulgaris tank in there, but they're difficult to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6TuAo4_zeU

Sorry for my consistently poor video quality, but I've noticed a lack of videos being posted.

You lucky ba....... :p
Lovely looking animals indeed. I also fell in love with the P.axanthus, you´re very lucky. Please posts as many videos as you want :) I for one enjoy them a lot.

Nothing wrong with the quality, I enjoyed it very much...let's start a video posting hype.

Jake, your videos are great - once again, thanks for sharing.

Wow, I thought they were terrestrial. Do they ever come out of the water?

Great video. I have the same question as Dawn. Do they remain aquatic all year or is this just seasonal, and have you had any breeding success?

Alex

Wow, I thought they were terrestrial. Do they ever come out of the water?

Great video. I have the same question as Dawn. Do they remain aquatic all year or is this just seasonal, and have you had any breeding success?

Alex

During the warmer months they were mostly terrestrial, but since it's cooled down quite a bit I often find them hiding under rocks at the botton of the water area of the tank.

I have not had any breeding success with this species, but hope to one day.

Awesome video and awesome sals. I wish I still had my old P. ruber now. Yours are so beautifully colored.

Very nice animals Jake!
Chip

"Al pasar por la ventana, me tirastes un limon" xDDDDDDDD
Is that the kind of music do you normally listen to? I find the music of your videos to be very funny indeed :)

Cracking animales too! I´ve always liked this species, it definitely looks like a very interesting and beautiful animal to keep. Let´s hope that increase of activity leads to breeding, it would be brilliant.

I have to say Jacob, the more I look at your setup the more I like it. I think that I am definitely going to have to try this setup. Are the stacked rocks secured with anything, or do they just balance like that? Gorgeous setup, keep the videos coming, and i've got my fingers crossed for some breeding.

Alex

"Al pasar por la ventana, me tirastes un limon" xDDDDDDDD
Is that the kind of music do you normally listen to? I find the music of your videos to be very funny indeed :)

Cracking animales too! I´ve always liked this species, it definitely looks like a very interesting and beautiful animal to keep. Let´s hope that increase of activity leads to breeding, it would be brilliant.

Yes, that is the music I always listen to. I leave it on all the time in the newt room.

I have to say Jacob, the more I look at your setup the more I like it. I think that I am definitely going to have to try this setup. Are the stacked rocks secured with anything, or do they just balance like that? Gorgeous setup, keep the videos coming, and i've got my fingers crossed for some breeding.

Alex

The rocks are not secured with anything, but they're sturdy enough that even if all 10 were to push their weight on them they wouldn't fall. There is also no need to worry about the tank/stand getting bumped because it weighs too much and is on the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMWWlLUJxwM

Jacob,
Thanks very much for the videos and info. I'm not in touch with anyone who has bred them...a friend who kept black-chinned red salalmanders, P. r. schencki found that they remained active at 40 F and showed some breeeding behavior the year after being chilled, so I think quite a chill might be needed to stimulate yours.

Just as an aside, I have 1 of my friend's black chins, which is now 25-28 years old. My friend, Bob Holland, passed away about 10 years ago. In the 60's-70's he was keeping and breeding all sorts of odd, ignored little creatures, long before most zoos were able, many still not give much attention..had dart frogs in their teens, Cuban and banded tree snails, unusual mosses and ferns, and so on. He would have been so pleasantly surprised by the interest and fine information generated by this site. Best, Frank.

Jacob,
...a friend who kept black-chinned red salalmanders, P. r. schencki found that they remained active at 40 F and showed some breeeding behavior the year after being chilled, so I think quite a chill might be needed to stimulate yours.

I plan to give them quite a chill! Last year I kept the window in the caudate room open during the winter and the temps stayed around 40 degrees for about two months. The lowest the air temp got was 36 degrees for a few days. The tanks nearest the window froze over a few times during the coldest part of winter. I plan to let the water in their tank freeze over, hopefully that'll be enough encouragement for them.

Thats som awsome sals!! i can se a resemblens between them and loepard geckos/Eublepharis macularius in appearnace:D

Cheers and good luck with breeding them!

I love being able to see them animals moving. It gives so much more information than static images you just do not know how an animal moves. And they can be stunning.

These Pseudotriton are great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back