Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

One of my two keeps floating and seems to be able to get to the 'floor'

freekygeeky

Reaction score
I have two axys in the same tank...
One of whihc has been floating for a few weeks now, he is eating but is thinner than the other.
he will try to get the the bottom, and or swim.. but just cannot get anywhere, he puts a hell of alot of effort in to it, but doesnt get anywhere.

the other is fine, but bigger (fat wise) than this one..

im a little worried..

everythign is fine in the tank they are both eating etc etc
no pebbles or anything..

but this one is floating, and is gettign thinner..

help?

oceanblue

Reaction score
I haven't got any great suggestions as to the cause, but the symptoms do sound like a gut problem. I'd be tempted to try a week or so in the fridge if other people cannot come up with better ideas.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure fridging is what is generally called for when an axolotl can't submerge. If you search the topic you'll find all the advice you could want.

Sharon

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Oh dear... floating can be quite stressful for axolotls as it appears to be in this case. I'd advise putting the little one in the fridge in a container of water deep enough to cover it's back but not deep enough for it to float. When in such conditions it will need at least a 100% water change each day because they are really messy creatures and generate a lot of waste :p When in the fridge it won't be tempted to eat as much but give it a go anyway about an hour before you conduct a water change. Mine are currently in the fridge and they do eat their pellets every now and then. Fridging will slow down the weight loss a bit too.

Do you know the water parameters of your tank such as pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? What is the temperature of your tank? This knowledge may help shed some light on the source of the problem.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Even my adults float now and then. I dunno why but they do. Not for long though. I'm getting the idea that they're checking something out, lol, now I tend to think they're teasing the cats!

Sharon

freekygeeky

Reaction score
i gues teh fridge it is then!
i did a water change, moved it in to another tank,
and a new filter.. but that didnt help, i guess fridge it is.. it has become alot coooler here..
but thats all that has changed..

p.s im not sure how old he/she is as they are all rescues..

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
A water change is the best option because they do seem to float a lot when they are sick and/or stressed. Alas, there is a difference between an axolotl floating for the sake of it and and an axolotl who can't reach the bottom :( You shouldn't need to change the filter. What would just cause the tank to cycle again. How long have you had the water in the tank for? And how often did you change the water and how much? Perhaps your tank is cycling and thus, causing your axolotl to be stressed. Floating can be attributed to bad water conditions.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
well the move from the tank to a smaller clean new water tank has hekped... he is now under the water.. not to sure what happend as the other was fine.. hm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1